What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 29A-05

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
On page 29A-05 step 5 it says "Rivet the nutplates to the aft flanges of the panel base and the F-00026L and R Inst Stack Angles....."

Figure 3 and subsequent figures clearly show 20 places for nutplates on the aft flange of F-1202B Panel Base and the nutplate callout specifies 20 of them. Here's the problem: My F-1202B Panel Base has only 14 places for nutplates on the aft flange. The center portion of the flange, where the F-00023 Center Inst Panel would attach, has six #40 holes rather than provisions for nutplates. I would think my Panel Base was made incorrectly but the Homebuilt Help video shows the same thing.

I also don't understand the second part of the quoted sentence which implies that nutplates should be also riveted to the Inst Stack Angles. I think all the nutplates which attach to these were installed on page 29A-04. There are two provisions for nutplates on each stack angle which apparently don't get used, but I don't think that's were additional nutplates go.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've spent hours trying to resolve this.

Jerre

I don't have the 29A pages but when I received my fuselage kit in 2010 the center panel was riveted to the panel base and stack angles. Since the Skyview update the panel base gets the nutplates for the remaining six places. See 42D page 03 step 4-7

The stack angles get a total of 14 nut plates (7 each)

42C-11b.JPG

Sounds like your panel base is pre-Skyview (like mine). Just add the extra nutplates. Haven't got the plans handy at the moment, but Skyview comes with new stack angles to replace the old ones.

Sounds like your panel base is pre-Skyview (like mine). Just add the extra nutplates. Haven't got the plans handy at the moment, but Skyview comes with new stack angles to replace the old ones.

Aren't there additional modifications to the panel base for Skyview? Maybe I'd be better off ordering the correct panel base if that's the case.

Read this thread - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782

You might choose to locate the intercom and ELT to above the Skyview. The Vans demo plane is like this. If so you will need a different right side panel, Vans can supply.

Also see the mods sticky thread regarding slotting the engine controls.

And finally - the engine control stick-on labels look cheap. I had a trophy shop make a labeled metal strip. Two holes in the ends for screws, and it overlays countersunk screws underneath it. looks much better. I used non-countersunk screws on the whole panel except for those, liked the look. See the pics.

Aren't there additional modifications to the panel base for Skyview? Maybe I'd be better off ordering the correct panel base if that's the case.

The conversion kit has the templates required to drill the additional holes (also in the forward bulkhead). Your call as to whether to buy a new panel base I guess, but there's really no need. The modifications are not difficult.

Back