What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 21-20 Block studs

redrv6

Hi All
I am having difficulty installing the 6 x MS21042-08 lock nuts on the block stud screws. Even with a helper holding the screw in place with a screwdriver under the belly skin, I can't tighten the nuts - they are so stiff. I've tried running the nut down the screw in a vice, but that required so much force that the screw bent.

What have others done here?

Shirley

Thanks Darrel
When you say 'as per Vans' is there an instruction somewhere that I've missed?

Shirley

Use some boelube on the threads of the screw. The length of the screw causes the nut to heatup from the friction of the locking action. The Boelube will allow you to get the nut all the way down without it heating up too much and binding on the screw.

Use some boelube on the threads of the screw. The length of the screw causes the nut to heatup from the friction of the locking action. The Boelube will allow you to get the nut all the way down without it heating up too much and binding on the screw.

Anti-sieze will work too

I squeezed the nuts a bit in a vice to make them a little less oblong (that oblong shape is the locking effect) and then gently ran a tap through them until they were a bit easier to turn. Put a dab of thread-locker on them as you tighten them up. The main thing is that it is a pain if they start turning when you later add the top pieces. -- David

Thanks for all the suggestions. The boelube worked fine - got the job done this morning. Another section completed - yay!!

Shirley

Back