What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Owners GRT HXr or Horiz 10.1 with Stratux ADS-B Traffic Not Showing

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I have my panel on bench and wiring it up. I got the Stratux ADS-B running with the TU-S9 adapter and connected to the 10.1 EFIS.

BTW GRT Avionics just just released this month, new supplemental manual and patch for Stratux. It is a big help...

My question is I am not seeing anything. I suspect the EFIS is filtering it. I am on ground, not moving, and traffic is high. Via WiFi and my iPad EFB I can see traffic, lots. Granted some at 35,000 feet. However terminal traffic is below 7000 feet. That also may be too much.

I am too far from ADS-B ground towers to get NEXTRAD and METARS/TAF's.

I can see the serial counter on the general set up page. So it's getting data.

I know not exactly the same unit, but in case GRT made some of the options common:

I have a 7" GRT Sport EX and just did my first ADS-B IN test last weekend. Single wire from stratux to the serial in. (I took the option to have all the serial ports enabled- otherwise I think only ports 1-3 work) I selected the serial input "GRT Discovery ADS-B" on the menu. Worked right away- I live under a terminal area and saw a bunch of the airplanes nearby.

Hope this info helps; good luck 👍

Somewhere in the setup menu there is a user adjustable filter for the tragic displayed. I have mine set to + or - 3000' vertically, iirc.

OK Gents thank you... I have a call into GRT...
Yep the GRT Discovery is the correct selection, I tried GDL 90 at first and that was no good.

Again the new manual and the new patch (there are two now, one for the CP2102 and another).
I actually bought two adapters, the TU-S9 GRT recommends, and the CP2102 USB to Serial adapter. I could not get the latter to work, CP2102, but that might have been me. I never uploaded the patch for the CP2102 because I was told none was needed but GRT has a patch for it?

The CP2102 is overkill. It has 3 dip switches to reconfigure for TTL and LED lights. The TU-S0, USB to Serial DP9 male cable works and uses a CP2302 chip.. The CP2102 has more output pins for interrupts, for TTL ( Transistor–transistor logic) ; It is a nice board. In fact it is $20 but I found it for $8. Still too much complication what we need it for. So I went with the TU-S9 which is what GRT recommends in the first place. I loaded the patch... as I said GRT has new files from what they had before, at least the name of the file.

I have the Stratux GPS internally mounted (with remote antenna option). The board is wide and is partially blocking the 4th USB port to connect the USB-Serial out cable... I bought some A-type USB male connectors (no cable no plastic nothing, bare connector) They are short, made for a circuit board mount verses a cable. I ground the tabs off the connector, and I soldered onto the 4 terminals, Red, White, Green, Black.

I used a high quality USB Male to Female extension cable and cut off the USB end, because it was CHUNKY... I also trimmed the GPS circuit board of just a tiny bit, Just the corner where the mount hole is. I suppose I could cut the TU-S9 cable and slice in... but I was not that brave. Anyway it all fits with room to spare, and works (I think).

I routed a little "U" mouse hole in top cover to get wire cable out. Can easily undo all this and make it portable again. Actually it is still portable as it fits in the plastic bracket and with the strap on battery. You just have a cable now hanging off the unit,

I have a CrewDog built Stratux, which I bought about 3-4 yrs ago. The price almost double from when I bought it...

I connected the TU-S9 to my USB extension cable... . On the Serial DB9 connector I have the TX and GND connected. Figure a good ground never hurts, but likely not needed. I did not connect the RX, since there is no function for that. GRT says connect for "future expansion". Can't see that. Also those mil spec gold plated (literally gold plate) D-sub pins are not cheap.

Most of the traffic I have is indeed is more than 3000 feet above my work bench... typically 7 to 37 thousand above. It makes sense to suppress that. May be I will haul this out to the big airport where I will be close to traffic and have ADS-B towers with weather to test.

Next how and were to mount the Stratux in the plane. I am not going with external antennas... But may get some SMA patch cables to remote mount the antennas? I don't want it on the glare-shield for sure. I figure in side wall in the cockpit with a view of the sky through plexi. It will be a compromise.

Any Ideas where to mount the Stratux and antennas?

Last edited:
Back