What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OT - narrower profile 5" tires?

scsmith

Well Known Member
Sorry this is not very RV related, but I wanted to tap into the VAF expertise pool.

I'm wondering is there is a narrower tire that would fit a 5" hub, even perhaps a narrower hub than a 500 x 5 hub. I'm trying to fit the tire into a wing that is fairly thin, and I'd rather not put a bulge on the bottom to fit a 500 x 5.

Note that it is a heavier airplane, a little less weight than an RV-10.

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited:
Narrow Wheel

I believe Robbie Grove will make you 500 x 5 wheels that are about 1" narrower.
These were pretty common on F1 racers but I think the 500 x 5 requirement is gone from the F1 rules and they now allow Lamb tires.

Grove Aero

Yep - Robbie sold me a set that are 3/4" or so narrower. STD brake setup, so set up the wheel centered on the half-fork. It looks like most WW2 ships had the fork on the inside - easier to get at the brakes, I guess.

Antisplataero.com has some nice 3/8" thread jack points.

If you figure out a hyd uplock, I'd like to see how you are gonna do that.

I'm hoping to copy the T-28 inner gear door setup..the gear pushes it closed, with spring cartridges holding it open - the modern method would be to to use auto gas struts to hold it open. Same on the over-center link.

"I've never seen an idea that is too good to copy!"

Yep - Robbie sold me a set that are 3/4" or so narrower. STD brake setup, so set up the wheel centered on the half-fork. It looks like most WW2 ships had the fork on the inside - easier to get at the brakes, I guess.

If you figure out a hyd uplock, I'd like to see how you are gonna do that.

This will be otherwise standard Lancair 320 gear.

By "centered on the half-fork" do you mean to space the narrower wheel out on the axle so that the brake disc runs in the same place as it would with a full-width hub?

With the narrower hub, do you still put a 500x5 tire on? Does the tire get much narrower when put on the narrower hub?

Back