What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh camper rentals?

Iluke

Well Known Member
I'm looking for anyone who had a vendor deliver a trailer/camper/RV to Camp Scholler this year. I'm looking to do it next year and would appreciate any insights, best practices, pitfalls to avoid, etc.

Yes, I know I should just tent-camp in HBC and I wish I could, but we're past that point in our lives and really need something with a real bed.

So if you had one delivered, how did it go?

Thanks

Ivan

This was our third year in a row staying in rented travel trailer albeit in Sleepy Hollow vs Scholler. The first year we rented from a local dealer, Kunes. If you go that route you get a new or nearly new RV, but it’s empty with no amenities (ie linens, towels, cookware, flatware, etc) and they charge AirVenture prices meaning it’s expensive. This year and last we went through RVShare (there’s a number of companies that provide the same service) and were very happy. I think you’ll find that renting from a private owner through RVShare and the like will be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 as expensive as a dealer and the trailers usually come fully equipped.

We rented from outdoorsy the last 2 years. Both have been great. The one this year came with absolutely everything we needed for the week (tp, towels, blankets, kitchen stuff, he even left some Milwaukee drills, saws, and blower that helped during volunteer week). Someone else in our camp also rented and got a trailer delivered with a literally overflowing black tank and host of other issues. There's a link on the rental sight that lets you send questions to the owner, and we always reach out before booking and try to get a feel for how it's been maintained as it can be very hit or miss.

Speaking of hit or miss, scheduling RVs through RVShare and Outdoorsy can be that way. The best option is to choose a camper that allows instant booking. IME, the others don’t get back with you. I suspect the instant bookers are more serious about renting.

This was our third year in a row staying in rented travel trailer albeit in Sleepy Hollow vs Scholler. The first year we rented from a local dealer, Kunes. If you go that route you get a new or nearly new RV, but it’s empty with no amenities (ie linens, towels, cookware, flatware, etc) and they charge AirVenture prices meaning it’s expensive. This year and last we went through RVShare (there’s a number of companies that provide the same service) and were very happy. I think you’ll find that renting from a private owner through RVShare and the like will be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 as expensive as a dealer and the trailers usually come fully equipped.

Todd- Thanks for the insight. Could you tell me more about Sleepy Hollow v Scholler? I was not aware of Sleepy Hollow. We've tent camped at Scholler before so I know what that is like. Is Sleepy Hollow a better choice?

thanks
Ivan

Sleepy Hollow is a little more expensive (I've heard second hand, as my friend does the booking), and does have a waiting list (but this year they added more sites in the woods, so maybe that's better), but you get the following benefits:

Guaranteed/known location with electrical hookups, some but not all also have sewer.

Hard (brick and mortar, no porta potties) shower and bathroom facilities. (Con: they charge $1 for a 5 minute shower, small potatoes in my book). I've never had to wait in line to shower.

Right across the street from SOS brothers, or they have an on-site bar if you prefer a quieter/less crowded atmosphere.

They have golf-carts and will drop off and pick up campers at the Wakau gate.

They have a private swimming hole, but I have not used that.

Zach pretty much covered it. They have a 10-day minimum stay and a 50 Amp full hookup deluxe site goes for $972 which is on top of whatever you rent your RV for. They have non-hookup sites that are a few hundred less. The nice thing is once you get a spot you can reserve the same spot year after year— not first come first serve like Scholler. The full on-site bar also has food. We do a Wal-Mart delivery to the main area where the bar, office, and bathrooms are for any food and soft drinks we want to have in the RV—the Walmart there in Osh unfortunately won’t deliver alcohol like they do here in Florida. They also have a golf cart shuttle to take you to and from the pedestrian gate across from the bus park. Finally the Homebuilt Welcome Wagon can haul you and your gear to the north end of Stits in Scholler where there’s a cutout you can walkthrough as the Wagons aren’t allowed to go to Sleepy Hollow directly.

Back