What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH Stepping Off Stops from North East

jsharkey

Well Known Member
And recommendations for refueling/rest stops between the Albany NY area and Oshkosh? Want to stay off the lakes and avoid Class B. Guessing one stop mid way to Chicago and then another south west of Chicago.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

RPJ

RPJ Rochelle IL, SW of Chicago has a nice restaurant on site. It’s also a skydiving location and you can watch them while eating. The pilot is good about broadcasting where they are in the jump sequence and will respond to you. Main thing, if jumpers are “away”, don’t fly a tight pattern and you should be good..;)

KVPZ - Valparaiso, IN

Hotels close by and some good restaurants. I’ve overnighted here a few times. It’s about an hour to OSH @ 140kts. They use to give an OSH fuel discount. Worth a call before getting there.

KVPZ - Valparaiso, IN

Hotels close by and some good restaurants. I’ve overnighted here a few times. It’s about an hour to OSH @ 140kts. They use to give an OSH fuel discount. Worth a call before getting there.

Thanks - do you fly direct from there, or navigate south and west of the Chicago class B?

I’ve always gotten cheap fuel at Warsaw Indiana KASW. Looks like you could make Oshkosh with only one stop if you know your fuel burns.. it’s only 5 hours give or take from Albany area.

Thanks - do you fly direct from there, or navigate south and west of the Chicago class B?

I normally follow the lake north bound along the shore. It’s under the class B then direct whichever point they’re using for that days arrival.

Unable to add to what others have said but will report that I tend to stop about 1-hour flight time short of OSH to get fuel. I also check Wx, check arrival procedures, review arrival in use, and then head to OSH.

I have done KOXI Starke County and KANQ Steuben County both are about a 2 hour flight to OSH. Both have reasonably priced self serve 100LL. Steuben has a very nice 4,500 ft runway, but no OSH vibe. I was the only one there, but the weather was not the best. It does set you up well to go north up Michigan and then across the lake. Stark did have an OSH vibe. Free hotdogs and donuts along with a few other pilots making the trek, but on that visit the flying weather was about as good as it can get.

Portage Muni C47 is only a few miles south of the Endeavor Bridge. I stopped there when I showed up late and the air show was starting and could not get into OSH. Great hospitality, but there are no taxiways, so it could be a mess if there were a lot of traffic along with having to back taxi on the active runway. But, the location is perfect for getting into the conga line.

I normally follow the lake north bound along the shore. It’s under the class B then direct whichever point they’re using for that days arrival.

Thanks again - just checked the TAC and there are several VFR Flyways under the class B similar to to the Hudson VFR corridor. I don't see a particular frequency for VFR reporting on the Flyways. Is there one? I did see a reminder to contact any class D that the Flyway passes through.

Jim

Thanks again - just checked the TAC and there are several VFR Flyways under the class B similar to to the Hudson VFR corridor. I don't see a particular frequency for VFR reporting on the Flyways. Is there one? I did see a reminder to contact any class D that the Flyway passes through.

Jim

I just monitor approach. Freqs are in the lower right corner and top left.

Same here

The Chicago VFR lakefront flyway is a ton of fun, we’ve done it a few times. You’ll want to have your head on a swivel. Now we just go around and stop at Dekalb (great OSH vibe there). The listed frequencies for the flyaway have been super busy with airline traffic each time I’ve monitored them—I suspect getting flight following is out of the question but your mileage may vary.
I just monitor approach. Freqs are in the lower right corner and top left.

+1 VPZ

They’ve done an Oshkosh cookout there when I’ve been through, and have had warbirds to gawk at there on past OSH travel days. Great airport, friendly people.

KVPZ - Valparaiso, IN

Back