What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH Beer Call

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
The Vans banquet will be fun, as will the type meetings. However, to round out the Total Oshkosh Experience we need an official VAF beer call. You know, suds, stories, lies, all the usual aviator stuff.

I recommend Monday evening at the SOS Brothers beer tent, right after the airshow. Hoist a few, meet the gang, make plans....and generally kick off a great week.

What say ye?

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the SOS beer tent is under the yellow balloon on Waukau Avenue, a location central to everything:

2wqahkl.jpg

Darn, sounds like all the good get-togethers are at the beginning of the week. Will there be any informal RV gatherings for those of us who aren't showing up til a little later, say wednesday? I'd love to buy a beer for all the folks who have unknowingly mentored me through their posts on the board.

I'll be landing either Wednesday or Thursday and may spend every evening (save the night airshow) at the SOS tent. I love that place!

Osh

I will be camping with the plane for the first time this year. I have already been told this SOS balloon is a great place to go for a cold one.

Count me in, I will already have tested it Sat and Sun.:D

I'm in!!!

Good call Dan. I was wondering if there was going to be anything going with no Piece of Grass 2011.

Several of us will be there!!!

I have been to OSH 3 years now..never know of the SOS tent. I won't be there til Wed this, but I will plan on being at SOS balloon later in the week..looking forward to it.

There's a good chance I'm going to make it this year, so count me in.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Gee, you're forcing us to chose this over the B.A.D. Speedwagon show. Lemme think about it...

If the party is still going on after 8PM I'll join you. Don't know if Darwin can stay up that late but I'll join the rest of you.

Another late(er) arrival planned here, probably Wed. I'll wear my VAF hat for recognition. We should have arranged for t-shirts or something :p.

Great idea Dan. I'm usually there after the show so I'm in also.

Last edited:
Great idea

Sounds like a great idea Dan. Was wondering what the group would think of two nights of beer-thirty? How about a second night on Weds or Thurs for those not being able to make the first one (or those wanting to make both)? Let's get a group discussion and I can chat with Dan about what needs to be done to organize the second - later in the week - meeting. Dave

Suggestion

I say just wander into the SOS tent with a vaf hat or shirt on and buy a beer and everything is simple and easy. See a vaf hat or shirt...say hey! Simple, no fuss...beer, oshkosh and vafers..what could be better? When you are out of money time to wander back to your tent and call it a day. :D

Good call, Dan.

It's not far from the HBC, been there in the past, great place to meet like minded aviators. :)

Last edited:
One good thing about beer call under the SOS balloon is a very low requirement for organization. All you need is when.

OK, as organizer of all things slightly out of rig, I declare the early week call to be Monday after the airshow, which means 5:30, maybe 6. Make it simple; when the noise stops head for the balloon, look for VAF hats and shirts. The REO concert is over at 7:30, so if you must go look at old guys in tight pants, fine....we'll be at the tent when you get done ;)

Late week? Thursday after the airshow appears to be a good bet; not much on the big schedule. Friday has the Lt Dan Band, Saturday has a night airshow.

I'll be there Monday. I'd suggest Thursday for Round 2. Ya'll decide.

Last edited:
Im in

First time at Osh for me and first time flying in, I figure I will need a beer by Monday evening:)

so if you must go look at old guys in tight pants, fine....we'll be at the tent when you get done ;)

My wife won't be with me this year so REO is out! See ya there, I'll be wearing my Slinks RV4 cap and will have a beer in my hand!

Are we non-RV builders allowed to crash the party? Well, by "we" I mean "me".

Just because you're not a builder YET doesn't mean you won't be soon. Especially if you stop by the Vans booth early enough to get on the schedule for a demo ride. The most expensive "free" ride you'll ever get.

Just because you're not a builder YET doesn't mean you won't be soon. Especially if you stop by the Vans booth early enough to get on the schedule for a demo ride. The most expensive "free" ride you'll ever get.

LOL I might have to do that at some point while I am there. I'll be in sometime on Monday. However, I'm more of the mindset of designing and building my own aircraft since there are a lot of very specific things I want to have in an aircraft that really don't fit well into anything in the Vans' lineup or any other experimental for that matter. However, hopefully with any luck of some of the design features I am working on will eventually cross over and be incorporated into other designs. I won't derail this thread but if you'd like to hear more, feel free to PM me or buy me a beer at Oshkosh and I'll be happy to give you the full rundown.

Isn't the SOS bikini night usually Thursday? I can't make the OSH trek this year so I'll have to wait for the pictures. Sigh.

I think every night is bikini night. You think we go there just for the beer? ;)

Truth be told, the food is pretty good: Double Brats, roasted corn on the cob, and COLD BEER. Music isn't too bad either but a little loud sometimes. I've lost enough freq's from the flightline already.

What happens to us POOR suckers who arrive Tuesday?? Missing all the fun. You guys should do more MID WEEK.
Nordo

Okay, just so I am the first to say it,"WHAT HAPPENS IN OSHKOSH, STAYS IN OSHKOSH!".

Yeah, right....at my age "getting lucky" means a big smile and a pat on the back of my hand ;)

What happens to us POOR suckers who arrive Tuesday?? Missing all the fun. You guys should do more MID WEEK.

We got you covered. Something wrong with Thursday?

I'm looking forward to flying the RV in Saturday, and praying the weather is as good then as it has been this week; good VFR all the way from New Hampshire to OSH. I expect to be camping with the RV at HBC, and will plan to meet you all at SOS.

Yeah, right....at my age "getting lucky" means a big smile and a pat on the back of my hand ;)

We got you covered. Something wrong with Thursday?

So sad ... and so true, eh, Dan? *sigh* :rolleyes: Oh, well ... it gives the young bucks a chance. If we were still on the prowl, they wouldn't stand a chance. LOL

As for Thursday, that's the night of the Homebuilders' Dinner at the pavilion. I'm guessing that for $15, you'll get a LOT more beer there than at the SOS tent. No bikinis, however. :(

Back