What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opaque vs clear fuel filters

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
I"d like to have a clear fuel filter so I can just glance it it and go "Ok, no crud, let's go.", but the only ones I see for 3/8" fuel line have paper filters. Is it just me, or does anyone else kinda go Nahhh.... I'd like to see it before I go flying.

TIA

Steve,

I use Facet 43178 filters. They are clear, have lots of area and 74 micron. You have to make an adapter for the NPT end, just a coupling and barb.

Jim Butcher

I get the concept, but to me the benefit of being able to see the filter element is far outweighed by the potential for a cracked plastic housing or collapsed paper element.

I'm not interested in installing anything with a plastic housing made in china in my fuel delivery system. Not just my plane, but I wouldn't put it on my Jeep, boat or bikes either.

I think the logic here is fine but won't work in the real world. I had a buddy with an engine that stopped running and I suspected fuel starvation. Pulled the servo finger strainer and from 1' looked great. From a few inches it didn't look right so put it in a cup of gasoline. Massive amounts of VERY fine, white material came out (suspected a self destructing paper filter on the FBO fuel truck). Concluded that filter became saturated with debris and began to bypass, ultimately clogging up the passages in the spider and injectors.

I would argue that even with a clear filter housing you will not be able to see a clogged filter in all cases.

Last edited:
Decided to 86 the filter and went with only an Andair 375 gascolator insted.

Cue gascolator vs filter and gascolator debate..

Sounds like you are planning to install/utilize this prior to your backup pump. More details would help your quest IMO.

Decided to 86 the filter and went with only an Andair 375 gascolator insted.

Cue gascolator vs filter and gascolator debate..

I'm actually researching gascolators and filters. That Andair has a 70 micron filter which seems like a good enough size but is the pressure drop an issue? I'm looking for one of a 325hp IO-540 which sucks fuel like a...well you know like what.

Fram used to make filters with a SS element in a clear glass housing, I had them on my RV3. They showed water really well onetime which alerted me to clean them. Crud some other times, but nothing concerning. I like the concept but in practice, not so much. Not for airplanes anyway.

I'm actually researching gascolators and filters. That Andair has a 70 micron filter which seems like a good enough size but is the pressure drop an issue? I'm looking for one of a 325hp IO-540 which sucks fuel like a...well you know like what.

I bought an Andair filter but didn't install it - it looked way too small. Perhaps it would be ok, but I installed an Aeromotive filter which is about double the size. Andair says the pressure drop is negligible. Aeromotive gives some numbers at different flow rates. My decision was based on emotion, not science.

I bought an Andair filter but didn't install it - it looked way too small. Perhaps it would be ok, but I installed an Aeromotive filter which is about double the size. Andair says the pressure drop is negligible. Aeromotive gives some numbers at different flow rates. My decision was based on emotion, not science.

Emotion or (unconscious) common sense? Maybe your gut was talking to you. Filter area is not an issue until it is. The flow characteristics listed by the OEM are most certainly for new and clean condition. In the event the filter has done its job and the element starts becoming fowled, the flow characteristics change obviously. IMO, meet the filtration requirements of the pump and downstream equipment at a minimum (obviously). A little extra element surface area is cheap insurance and probably wise especially for initial runs.

Still unsure of the OP's configuration as he only mentions one filter IIRC.

Fuel filters...

i will not use anything plastic or a barbed fitting on a fuel line, period. here is what I use, takes 3 minutes to pull it out and check and clean it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MImMSTn5P7_wIVStCGCh098gSwEAQYBCABEgLz5PD_BwE

I installed similar filters from another source. One for each wing, before the pump and gascolator. If one filter suddenly limits flow, switching tanks should take care of that. Easy to access, inspect/clean and reinstall. And a solid aluminum piece of the fuel system connected with AN fittings.:)

i will not use anything plastic or a barbed fitting on a fuel line, period. here is what I use, takes 3 minutes to pull it out and check and clean it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MImMSTn5P7_wIVStCGCh098gSwEAQYBCABEgLz5PD_BwE

Please take this as a constructive concern. People on here tend to get very defensive and/or take things personally.

I clicked on the link in your post (screen grab below). Don't know your fuel system config but I'm going to assume this is your final filter. Either way, from the product picture it does not afford you much filtration area -> very low fouling margin. Possibly that is just a type of pre-filter but the product description/specs don't mention such.

There are a lot of very good in-line, billet aluminum, filters available with "canister" type elements. Holley, others at Summit Racing, Aeromotive (whopping 60 sq in of filtration area with a microglass option), etc. If your current product's configuration indeed matches the picture, I'd strongly consider something with more margin in the future.

As mentioned, filter surface area isn't an issue until it is. Then it is probably too late.

Be safe, Sir.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-07 080003.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-07 080003.png
    323.3 KB · Views: 14
Please take this as a constructive concern. People on here tend to get very defensive and/or take things personally.

There are a lot of very good in-line, billet aluminum, filters available with "canister" type elements. Holley, others at Summit Racing, Aeromotive (whopping 60 sq in of filtration area with a microglass option), etc. If your current product's configuration indeed matches the picture, I'd strongly consider something with more margin in the future.

As mentioned, filter surface area isn't an issue until it is. Then it is probably too late.

Be safe, Sir.

This is an excellent point. I ran the "stock" post filter provided by SDS on my system for a few years until I had a blockage in it that forced me to land with partial power, though admittedly my problem was an unusual edge case. I had a mud-dauber nest get built in my private-strip fueling system hose, and during a predawn fillup and departure I missed seeing it and pumped it into the left wing tank. The resulting mud mix went through the fuel pump and plugged the post-filter before the injectors and I was left with about 30%-40% power by the time I landed. Thankfully I had taken off on the right tank and climbed up to altitude before switching tanks at the 5-gallon point, and had plenty altitude to play with, could have been ugly.

I switched to the larger canister-type filter below for the exact reasons discussed above - I wanted more filter area to absorb more debris before becoming a blockage.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-230616erl

Attachments

• ear-230616erl_sb_xl (1).jpg
    ear-230616erl_sb_xl (1).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 71F4kEGhypL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71F4kEGhypL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Greg, was this for the filter after the engine pump and before the injectors? I have the fuel flow sender there and want to install a filter after the fuel flow in case the plastics inside break. This is my injection system

Attachments

• IMG_8308.jpg
    IMG_8308.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Greg, was this for the filter after the engine pump and before the injectors? I have th refuel flow sender there and want to install a filter after the fuel flow in case the plastics inside break. This is my injection system

Yes. I am running the full SDS system with prefilters at the tank root leading to the Andair duplex valve then to the pump module, and a post-filter after the pump module small enough to catch any debris that might clog an injector. The prefilters are fairly coarse, just intended to protect the fuel pumps with minimal pressure drop, so a lot of the finer mud particles in my case went right through there and stopped in the post-pump filter. Anything small enough to make it through the post-filter went through the injectors and out the tailpipe.

There's nothing magic or specific about the filter I chose, do your own research and pick one appropriate for your installation. My whole intent was to have more surface area to catch more fine debris without clogging.

Last edited:
Back