What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Thermostat Control 912ULS

Roku

Edit:

I taped the top 2 rows of the oil cooler and that helped alot!
I also blocked off the top 4" of the "rad". That wasn't enough.
======================================
Many thanks!
I'm going to try "tape" on the cooler and rad for now.
=======================================

Today I was out flying (OAT 6c).
It was cold. Coolant and oil temp was "low".
Oil temp was around 150~.

So I'm looking at a Oil Thermostat Control device.(https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/xcomthermostat.php?clickkey=98626)

Anyone had experience with these?
Thoughts?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Do you install Van's cold-weather kit with its oil cooler and coolant radiator block-off plates when it gets cold outside? They don't help all that much with ground warm-up time but do work reasonably well in-flight.

What was said above is correct. I use the middle size oil cooler baffle plate @ 50F OAT at achieve near 200F oil temp in flight. You want to be near the boiling point of water to drive off moisture in the crankcase to prevent internal engine corrosion...

Shutter

I have an Adj shutter modified for the 12. I believe Antisplat sells them. With it wide open and 50 deg I get see temps in the 200s but I can close it in the air for flying in temps 10 deg and see oil temps in the 220s if totally closed. I close it during warm up and temps comes up very quickly, then open for takeoff

Last edited:
Back