What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil sump construction

erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
Greetings
I need to fish through my oil sump with a magnet to try and find the missing piece(s) of a cotter pin that departed from one of my pmags (Grrrr...). I had planned on accessing the sump from all possible ports to maximize my chances, but in looking at the photo of the sump interior below I got off the internet, it appears that perhaps I really wont be able to gain access through the oil screen pickup port? Looks like there is a special cavity built in to the sump where the screen sits. Not clear to me how the surrounding oil enters into the screen area.

Obviously I haven't previously examined the inside of the sump before. Thanks for any insights you can provide.

14ik504.jpg

thanks
Erich

Eric

While removal of the sump is somewhat time consuming, I think you need to consider it. Yes, lots of things have to be removed, but you really want to make sure that you get all the material out of the sump.

If you did loose one of the cotter pins from the PMag you may also consider removing the accessory case as well. It would be prudent to inspect the gears and associated parts to ensure that damage has not been done.

Right. Thought I would try to fish out whatever I can from the sump first and see what I get. I may be able to observe the idler gears inside the accessory case without removing it by removing the mags, using a mirror and flashlight, and rotating the prop. Will see about that. If not, They should be visible from below after removing the sump. This is what was recommended to me by Aerosport Power who built my engine.

Any input on the sump construction around the oil screen?

Thanks!
Erich

I don't know how many sump designs there are, is this one like yours? - it looks like the IO360M1B I have.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=962486&postcount=13

Oh - I wouldn't hesitate to remove the sump if needed, but agree with finding the cotter pin pieces via magnetic means first. If not found - - off she comes.

Braintrust: would one see the crushing (some deformation) of a pin fragment if it migrated through the gears? I would think yes, but have no experience.

Fishing...

I was able to fish a nut out of my sump. I went through the mag holes. A description and picture of the tools I used can be found in the thread below. I know a nut is bigger and thus probably easier. The nut I dropped down was mostly stainless steel, which made it more difficult because there was a rather weak magnetic attraction. Never the less I was finally able to extract it, using a magnet.

If the cotter pin was from the p-mag you have a good chance that it dropped straight down and can be retrieved through the mag hole. The magnet I have is pretty strong and if the cotter pin is steal, it will pick it up very readily.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=133032

Good luck,
Michael-

Happy fishing, but if the cotter pin looks at all mashed or damaged...pull the accessory cover, inspect all the gears and especially the idler posts retaining bolts, also consider replacing the crank gear dowel pin and retaining bolt. As I mentioned I know of 5 episodes of cotter pins coming out, 2 of them resulted in the idler gear post retaining bolts coming loose. You don't want the crank to cam idler gear coming out, that would define a bad day even if it happened on the ground.
Tim Andres

Yes! Thanks Carlos! Clearly im not going to be able to do much fishing through the oil screen port

Erich

Back