What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure

UrbanM

I have about 20 hours on a overhauled 0-320 E2D. I had low oil pressure right after the overhaul so the engine builder installed a new spring (A White one IIRC) and two washers. Now the pressure seems too high. Goes right up to 80ish on cold starts and typically low/mid 80ties in cruise. Still warm here in UT and I am wondering what's going to happen when it cools off. Aeroshell 100 is currently in use.
Any idea what removing one washer might do? I have a case of XC20-50 for the next oil change. Would this help?
Thanks,
Kirk

Oil

20-50 will act just like 100 when it’s warm. The 20-50 will allow your oil pressure to drop vs the 100 while the oil is colder but as you get to operating temps the difference is negligible.

My.02 is fly it. If the oil pressures climb toward unacceptable levels when colder during run up, goto multi weight oil. If you see the oil pressures climb toward unacceptable levels at operating temps remove one washer at a time. I see about 5 psi per washer on my e2c.

Shell 100 is recommended between 60-89 F, AMBIENT temperature.
Shell 80 is recommended between 1-69 F, AMBIENT temperature.
Shell W15-W50 is recommended year round, but not for run in.
Be sure to use an oil that is recommended for run in.
I would not be worried for an oil pressure of 80 psi.
You could remove one washer, this would drop it to about 75 psi.

Good luck

Get an appropriate AN washer for the housing, remove it and take one of the two washers out. This will drop the pressure a bit. If you don’t get low enough, pull the last one out

Xc20w50 is fine for break in. Don’t use the victory stuff for break in.
Larry

Last edited:
I have about 20 hours on a overhauled 0-320 E2D. I had low oil pressure right after the overhaul so the engine builder installed a new spring (A White one IIRC) and two washers. Now the pressure seems too high. Goes right up to 80ish on cold starts and typically low/mid 80ties in cruise. Still warm here in UT and I am wondering what's going to happen when it cools
Thanks,
Kirk

Sounds perfect to me, I like to see 80-85 in cruise.

Agreed, those pressures are fine - mine runs upper 70's in cruise and I'll see low-90's on a cold start if I don't have power for preheat. I'm running Aeroshell 50W100.

The limit for starting pressure was increased from 100 to 115 decades ago.
85# is not only fine, the valves will be very happy.

You are good at those numbers!

As others have said..your pretty much in the perfect range. My O320H2AD that I overhauled myself has been 90-100 on initial start and warm up, 85ish in cruise, which is what I like to see. I run Aeroshell 100 Plus year round (central NC).

Thanks for the responses. I’ll fly around with it a bit more and see what pressure I get in the winter.
Kirk

Back