What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Painting - Motivation

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I commissioned an artist to do an oil painting of my Rocket (what I expect it to look like). The Rocket is still under construction and it has been more than 18 months since I have done any work on it (many excuses). However I am retiring in a couple months and this painting is my retirement present to myself, and my motivation to get the plane completed.

The background is Fernie, BC (lived there for 18 years) and the cars are all cars I currently own or owned in the past. I think this guy, Ross Buckland, did a fantastic job of this. The painting is 24"x36" without the frame.

Here is a photo of the painting, I just had to share it with some guys that would appreciate it!

canvas%206%20(800x536).jpg

Nice!

I Met Ross a few times over the years. We were both members of the Canadian Aviation Artists Association, he was the president one year. He's always done great work.

If you are talking to him, please say hello for me.

That is special

That is something you will value forever. The town where you lived and your cars and trucks really personalize the painting. I can understand why you say it is motivational. Maybe not what you intended but I would feel a little nagging guilt that there is only one thing in the painting that isn't real and it's my job to make it so.

Bob Axsom

I would feel a little nagging guilt that there is only one thing in the painting that isn't real and it's my job to make it so.

You pretty much nailed it, Bob. This will hang in the main entrance to the house and every time I come in (from flyng or golfing :D) I will be reminded there is some unfinished business out in the shop.

Last edited:
Back