What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler air shutter installation?

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
I’ve built several RV including a previous 12. For it I used a block/tank heater and partially blocked the oil cooler inlet with a plate during winter. For my 7, I also installed a sump heater and installed an oil cooler air shutter from Anti Splat Aero. It has been extremely effective for oil temperature control.

While waiting on my powerplant kit I just have all the fiberglass work to do. Thinking of installing a shutter. Anyone done it? I don’t have one in hand to try fitting but thinking I’d have to do some custom fiberglass work to create a forward pocket to maintain cooler to exhaust distance. Also since there is no easy way to connect a cable and allow for cowl removal, I’d have to install a small servo and power it electrically.

I have installed a shutter that I bought somewhere online, I added a cable in the cockpit. I close it for engine warm up but it really doesn't save any time during the 6 minute (generally) warm up time but it works well in cruise to get the OT over 212 F...if I knew how to post pics on VAF I would show you a photo but I'm sure you can find one easily online and modify it slightly to fit. I believe the Thermostat kits would work better...

Interested in installation. Did you create a shutter pocket in front of cooler or move cooler rearward. How did you do a cable control and still have easy lower cowl removal? PM me and we can connect by email to share pictures, etc.

Its pretty simple, It mounts in front of the oil cooler using the same two bolts the cooler uses. I had to add a strip of aluminum (hardware store) for the lower portion of the cooler door because an inch or two was exposed. The cable is just a plain push pull with locking notches to prevent creep and is clamped to the engine. The only issue is when removing the lower cowl you have to disconnect cable end from the cooler door arm and when replacing cowl you have to guide cable end through the hole you drilled in cowl so it can be re attached to arm...its a one man operation though...I'll send you pics via PM after I get to my hanger soon....like I said before, it really doesn't shorten warm up like I had hoped but works well in flight.

Its pretty simple, It mounts in front of the oil cooler using the same two bolts the cooler uses. I had to add a strip of aluminum (hardware store) for the lower portion of the cooler door because an inch or two was exposed. The cable is just a plain push pull with locking notches to prevent creep and is clamped to the engine. The only issue is when removing the lower cowl you have to disconnect cable end from the cooler door arm and when replacing cowl you have to guide cable end through the hole you drilled in cowl so it can be re attached to arm...its a one man operation though...I'll send you pics via PM after I get to my hanger soon....like I said before, it really doesn't shorten warm up like I had hoped but works well in flight.

I'd like pictures too, if you don't mind sending them to someone else too!

Im not sure if this is specifically for a 12 since I thought Scott was building a 7 but this is how it is installed on my 9. I also have a 60% plate on the inside of my plenum.

I may or may not install a cable to operate it from the oil door. I need it closed probably most of the year to get my oil temp to even close to suggested temps.

It has helped but I think I need to block off air inlets to get both cyl and oil temps up this winter.

Attachments

• oil shutter.jpg
    oil shutter.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 60
My solution for the last 10 years

Thats the same one I have on my-12...however I added a skirt to ad to the height
I did something similar and built a frame around my shutter, and slotted it on the bottom. Added two more cowl guides opposite the oil cooler guides on the front. The shutter and frame slides on very easy on the cowl guides and then secured on the top with the 2 oil cooler bolts.

Attachments

• Shutter cone.jpeg
    Shutter cone.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 238
  • shutter 3.jpeg
    shutter 3.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 48
  • shutter 5.jpeg
    shutter 5.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 50
Very helpful, it was 10 years ago when I last built a 12 and I had forgotten details of the cooler duct system. Still waiting on engine kit information. It was supposed to be crated in early November just when Vans stopped.

Looks like you can just attach in front of the cooler. Thinking now that a rod could go vertical to a bell crank with a quick release for a cable instead of the servo and plug in wiring I was planning. Since I will heat the oil when cold, purpose is just to restrict air flow to maintain temperatures in winter. My IO-360 in my RV-7 was tightly baffled and ran cool so the shutter was used to some degree all year long to maintain oil temperature.

as is written: the oil does not get very much quicker warmed-up with shutters. An (added) oil thermostat is the way to go in my opinion. Gives me minutes per flight-day - several hours a year.
Happy NewYear en many gooooood landings, everyone!

Technically can not do neither in the US until after certification or it would not be a E-LSA. Time to add valve/hoses would be at 5 year hose replacement interval. Was planning to setup for but not add the shutter until post inspection.

Last edited:
Would the shutters, even fully open, allow enough air flow during warm weather?
The smallest of plates in Vans Winterization Kit (RV12 ULS) covers a relatively small area of the cooler face and it makes a notable difference in oil temp once warmed up & in flight on a less than cold day (>60F).

Per www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Notification-2017-03-01.pdf
RV-12 coolant radiator and oil cooler block-off plates for use in cold climates when ambient operating temperature is below 50°F (10°C).
Proper Oil Cooler Cover selection is dependent on ambient operating temperature, the normal cruise flight oil temperature of your particular engine and the manner in which you operate your aircraft. Three different Oil Cooler Covers are provided, we recommend installing the FF-00119A (small) cover first and monitor how it impacts the oil temperature of your aircraft during normal operation. Oil temperature above 230°F (110°C) is acceptable during full-power climb-out. Do not exceed 248°F (120°C). If your oil temperature remains below 180°F (82°C) during normal cruise flight install the next larger Oil Cooler Cover and monitor oil temperature.

I remove the by pass assembly in May when weather is getting warmer, it will increase oil temp if left on during summer months since even with the louvers fully open there's enough surface area being blocked.

Good point- thinking about it, the 12 is a more open system for the cooling air intake since the duct work is directing air to the coolant radiator too so you do not necessarily have the high pressure/low pressure areas like a traditional cowl in the other RVs. So the approximately same size air cooler may not be getting as much flow. On my RV-7 the only time ever fully opened the shutter was long climbs or taxi, like in the line for Oshkosh departure. Would regulate it for about typical 190 degrees. My 12 was before the winter kits, just made a blocking plate for about 40% as I recall and removed it in Spring.

I wonder if the shutter could be mounted to the back side of the oil cooler. That way it wouldn't have to be disassembled for cowl removal on legacy RV-12.

Just a thought....

Back