What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OFF-ON-ON Switch?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Looking for a switch for both Landing/Taxi and Nav/Strobes functioning. One click from OFF for Taxi or Nav. One additional click in the same direction for Taxi/Land and Nav/Strobe. I thought I had the switches from Stein, but they're On-Off-On.

Looking for a switch for both Landing/Taxi and Nav/Strobes functioning. One click from OFF for Taxi or Nav. One additional click in the same direction for Taxi/Land and Nav/Strobe. I thought I had the switches from Stein, but they're On-Off-On.
I used the Honeywell 2TL1-10 as well, and for the same purpose you're wanting. 3 switches control all my exterior lighting including all the wigwag stuff.

I went with the Honeywell because they last forever and my panel is cramped to the point that I'd have to pull the remote transponder out to replace the switches.

If you've got better access and only need them to last "almost" forever, Carling makes the same switches for about 1/2 the price. For something as non-critical as lights, I would have gone that way and saved myself a hundred bucks other than the access issue.

I think I've got some of the carling ones in a box at my hangar. If you decide you want to go that way I can look and see what I have. Probably save you some bucks and get them to a good home.

• Honeywell 12TS95-10 was a lower cost option with Faston tabs. It's obsolete though.
  • IMO APEM 644H/2 is a good Faston Tab option... or there's an option with screws... 644H.
    • No rivets. "Terminal and contact support are manufactured from a single piece of metal. The contacts are resistance-welded to the terminal for increased mechanical strength."
    • 644H/2 is on Amazon.
    • Find the catalog sheets at https://www.apem.com/idec-apem/en_US/Panel-switches/600H-600NH/c/600H-600NH?page=1
      • The APEM switch logic is not in these catalog sheets but thanks to the Technical Information document linked by jwyatt in post 12, I attached a snip of what APEM calls "Function 4"; others call it "-10". "-10" is what one sees on the Honeywell datasheets and the Aeroelectric Z schematics.
        https://www.apem.com/idec-apem/en_IN/media/apem/technical_info_pcb_ps
    • The "solder lug" terminals mentioned in the catalog sheets are elsewhere in the same catalog sheets described as "solder lug/quick-connect". I have APEM 600H series switches and a Faston tab goes on tightly.

Attachments

• APEM 644H switch logic.jpg
    APEM 644H switch logic.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
All my switches are Carling brand. Their OFF-ON-ON DPDT model number is 2GG54-73. $15 on Digikey. Not sure I can link since they aren't a VAF sponsor.

I have one for: Off/Nav/Nav+Strobe and another one for: Off/Steady/Wigwag landing light. Went with a separate SPST On-Off for Taxi lights.

I've always had a hard time finding a true OFF-ON-ON in the form factor I wanted and at a reasonable price.

But an ON-ON-ON can be used just as easily... Don't wire anything across the first "ON" and you get the same result.

I used a Honeywell 2TL1-10 switch for this exact purpose. Technically I think it's ON/ON/ON, but it works for what you're looking for. Datasheet: https://www.steinair.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Honeywell-2TL1-10-Data-Sheet.pdf
I have two extra of these Honeywell on-on-(on) with center position lock. Bought mine to save room for the ECU on/test. The price/each delta between buying two and four was enough that I bought the last four they had . Looking at what Stein wants for them, probably time to part with my spares.

If you are OK with Faston tabs versus screws:
  • Honeywell 12TS95-10 was an option. It's obsolete though.
  • IMO APEM 644H/2 is a good option. Or there's an option with screws... 644/H.
    • No rivets. "Terminal and contact support are manufactured from a single piece of metal. The contacts are resistance-welded to the terminal for increased mechanical strength."
    • 644H/2 is on Amazon for $17.19, free shipping.
    • Find the datasheet at https://www.apem.com/idec-apem/en_US/Panel-switches/600H-600NH/c/600H-600NH?page=1
    • The "solder lug" terminals mentioned in the datasheet are elsewhere in the datasheet described as "solder lug/quick-connect. I have APEM 600H series switches and a Faston tab goes on tightly.
    • The APEM switches I have are not the double-pole on-on-on so I haven't confirmed the 644H has the -10 switching configuration but would on-on-on mean something other than the -10 configuration?
Always looking for another way. Interestingly, the APEM series for on-on-on is missing related details; screen shot attached. Note no contact closed identification for (center) position II. A customer review (non-aviation site) of that model claims that it is not a 3T switch but a 2T. Anybody here actually use a APEM644Hx?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-07 143626.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 143626.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 13
Always looking for another way. Interestingly, the APEM series for on-on-on is missing related details; screen shot attached. Note no contact closed identification for (center) position II. A customer review (non-aviation site) of that model claims that it is not a 3T switch but a 2T. Anybody here actually use a APEM644Hx?
I use the 644H for this “progressive toggle” application in two places. It works as described. You can see the details that are missing from the spec sheet in the Technical Information sheet on the apem website.

Look at Function 4, bottom of the second page.

Just be careful with switch ratings for DC currents - especially if you go for cheaper switches. Halve what they say.
My only ever in flight smoke experience was a Carling POS toggle that couldn’t deal with the 10A or so of pitot heat. Took a few years to fail but it was not a fun experience.
If you’re thinking of running any material current for say landing lights or pitot heat just keep it in mind.
Second plane has only Honeywell TLs. Cry once.

Anyone looking for Pmag power/p-lead testing in 1 switch. I believe this is it in Honeywell from tti is ~$93
The -50 is momentary (*)on the key way side and the K is added to the mil to get the locking and non locking on the correct side of the switch.

Attachments

• IMG_6832.jpeg
    IMG_6832.jpeg
    937.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6835.png
    IMG_6835.png
    444.5 KB · Views: 8
I use the 644H for this “progressive toggle” application in two places. It works as described. You can see the details that are missing from the spec sheet in the Technical Information sheet on the apem website.

Look at Function 4, bottom of the second page.
Good info. Thx. If there was a link to the TI from the product page, I didn't see it.
Just be careful with switch ratings for DC currents - especially if you go for cheaper switches. Halve what they say.
My only ever in flight smoke experience was a Carling POS toggle that couldn’t deal with the 10A or so of pitot heat. Took a few years to fail but it was not a fun experience.
If you’re thinking of running any material current for say landing lights or pitot heat just keep it in mind.
Second plane has only Honeywell TLs. Cry once.
Gold standard for sure. They are just getting harder and harder to find in the configs I want and many seem to have lead times these days. My engine critical switches are Honeywell TLs with locking levers of course)
Anyone looking for Pmag power/p-lead testing in 1 switch. I believe this is it in Honeywell from tti is ~$93
The -50 is momentary (*)on the key way side and the K is added to the mil to get the locking and non locking on the correct side of the switch.
Or as I mentioned ECU (combined) run/test switches. If TTI wants $93 and Stein wants $130 for these, time to part with my spares.

Back