What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OAT Gauge wire run

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
OK folks...I will draw on your expertise again. I have an electronic OAT gauge that I want to install. Am I going to get in trouble running the probe wires in the same tube as the wingtip strobe wires? Many thanks in advance for the advice.

OAT wire run

Unsure if strobe output will cause any trouble or not. I put my OAT in the NACA inlet back in a ways where it can't be seen from the outside. Installation was a snap and wiring was very easy to say the least and no problems in 7 years.

How good are the readings"

Unsure if strobe output will cause any trouble or not. I put my OAT in the NACA inlet back in a ways where it can't be seen from the outside. Installation was a snap and wiring was very easy to say the least and no problems in 7 years.

I tried mounting my OAT sticking out the bottom of the wing root faring and have never had very accurate readings (GRT EIS). I plan to move it during my annual this spring and was thinking putting it through the aileron inspection plate under the left wing. How is the readings in the NACA inlet if you have it tucked in aways? Is it far enough in so as to not get any direct sun light? Does cabin head affect it in cooler weather? What type of OAT is it and how did you mount it?

Thanks

no

why put it in the wingtip?

I installed my probe right next to the fuel tank pressurization vent under the fuselage and just behind the firewall. right in the corner.

I tried mounting my OAT sticking out the bottom of the wing root faring and have never had very accurate readings (GRT EIS). I plan to move it during my annual this spring and was thinking putting it through the aileron inspection plate under the left wing. How is the readings in the NACA inlet if you have it tucked in aways? Is it far enough in so as to not get any direct sun light? Does cabin head affect it in cooler weather? What type of OAT is it and how did you mount it?

Thanks

Try putting it inside the wing root fairing instead of outside. I have mine there and believe it is very accurate as I have a second one in a different location and they read the same or at most 1 dF different.

Try putting it inside the wing root fairing instead of outside. I have mine there and believe it is very accurate as I have a second one in a different location and they read the same or at most 1 dF different.

Bavafa, How did you mount it inside the wing root? Is that hard to do on a completed RV6A?

Bavafa, How did you mount it inside the wing root? Is that hard to do on a completed RV6A?

I did this on a completed -6. Ran the wire from outside in through the same route as the fuel level sender wire. Made a little bracket from some scrap and mounted it out if the way. Works great.

Thanks Walkman.....I'm going to assess my options this morning. Then I'll wait for a little warmer weather. Hopefully that will come sooner rather than later.

I had a probe inside the NACA vent on my 8 and it always read 8-10 hotter than actual because of the exhaust gasses swirling around the fuse.

I now have one inside the NACA vent under the right wing on my 8 and one on the outermost inspection plate under the right wing and they both read the same, correct temp.

It's been found if you mount them just about anywhere in the prop slipstream they will read higher that actual temp because of the exhaust.

A simple "L" shape bracket that gets mounted to the front mount/bolt of the tank bracket holds the probe. The wire runs alongside of the wire that is for my fuel level.

I believe it reads very accurately.

Hope this helps.

A simple "L" shape bracket that gets mounted to the front mount/bolt of the tank bracket holds the probe. The wire runs alongside of the wire that is for my fuel level.

I believe it reads very accurately.

Hope this helps.

Merhdad, do you have a picture of this. I will be mounting mine in that area as well and now I have a hole to be drilled just aft of the spar so the probe will be fastened to the side of the fuse and sticking fully into the wing root cavity. I was going to mount it there so it will nest inside a wing rib hole already there and the wing can be installed without another wire to deal with.

I have heard multiple times it reads correctly there just a little slow in rapid temp changes. It avoids all the other issues like sunlight, exhaust, and leaking hot air from the cowl.

Back