What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 Lycoming w/ 569A AD? Any Experience?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi All,

I have the opportunity to purchase a zero time since overhaul (done in 2012) 360 that has the crank which falls under the 569A AD. Has anyone had experience with these engines? Based on my reading, Lycoming wants them all unairworthy till the crank is replaced. The seller is saying it's "fine for experimental, not certified" but that just doesn't make sense... unairworthy is unairworthy.

Any insight into this would be helpful.

Thanks,
D

I think you've already nailed it. The seller's "Fine for experimental" means 'who cares if the engine fails in an experimental'. Well, I do. He should too. If the price is right for a full tear down, crank replacement...

thanks for this! just checked the list and it definitely listed. :(

D

That is not a deal. Walk away. There's a very good reason the AD isn't a inspection but calls out for the crankshaft to be trashed. I would only consider it if during overhaul all the cylinders were replaced with new ones. Plus it's been sitting for a decade.
I have no idea if Lycoming is still willing to replace the crankshaft for $2000 but if they are then it may be worth it but you'll still need to tear it down.

Last edited:
Crank Serial Number

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to purchase a zero time since overhaul (done in 2012) 360 that has the crank which falls under the 569A AD. Has anyone had experience with these engines? Based on my reading, Lycoming wants them all unairworthy till the crank is replaced. The seller is saying it's "fine for experimental, not certified" but that just doesn't make sense... unairworthy is unairworthy.

Any insight into this would be helpful.

Thanks,
D

Did you verify that the crank S/N itself falls under the AD and not just the engine S/N? If the engine was overhauled in 2012, why wasn’t the AD complied with at that time?

Skylor

First, price up a replacement Crankshaft, then do your sums. I don't know what a replacent Crank will cost you but lets say you can get one for $7,000... add on the cost of a new set of bearings, the labour for a shop to pull the bottom end apart and put it back together again... and what does that come to? I would guess around $14,000-ish?

What would you want to pay for a fully overhauled O-320? Based on the prices of a new one, I would have to guess that if you can get that one flying for under $30,000 you might be on a win and anything less than that is getting into the realms of being an attractive deal. For me the price he is asking is not unreasonable but its very close to being not viabale. It depends on how much work you want to do to it yourself... but you could definitely make this work if you're careful.

If it is non-counterweighted crankshaft, you can purchase a new Titan crankshaft for around 9-10K. Finding an overhauled crankshaft will be difficult. Then you'll have to pay the price for the teardown and inspection. Assuming everything internal is in good shape, you're probably looking at close to $21,000 as long as you leave the accessories as is and don't want to put on fuel injection or electronic ignition.

Wow, I bought a new Titan crank two years ago for six and then because the price seemed to be going up $500 a month...

Back