What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose strut play ?

Italiancowboy

I was playing around with methods to raise the nose wheel with the tail tie down eye bolt. Easy peasy
But my “oh no” moment came when I went to the nose wheel checking how high it was off the ground, that’s when I noticed about 1/4” play in the vertical axis.
Seems to be pivoting at the mount of the strut to the frame.

Before I pull off cowlings and do a bunch of investigation, I wanted to ask those experienced here if any vertical play is normal/acceptable?
How much of a concern is this ? Difficult repair (if needed) ? Tighten a bolt or replace a rubber mount ?

She tracks perfect down the RW, no shimmy ( but that would be from horizon play or tire issues) or any other noticeable handling issue.

Last edited:
I was playing around with methods to raise the nose wheel with the tail tie down eye bolt. Easy peasy
But my “oh no” moment came when I went to the nose wheel checking how high it was off the ground, that’s when I noticed about 1/4” play in the vertical axis.
Seems to be pivoting at the mount of the strut to the frame.

Before I pull off cowlings and do a bunch of investigation, I wanted to ask those experienced here if any vertical play is normal/acceptable?
How much of a concern is this ? Difficult repair (if needed) ? Tighten a bolt or replace a rubber mount ?

She tracks perfect down the RW, no shimmy ( but that would be from horizon play or tire issues) or any other noticeable handling issue.

Normal compressive setting on the doughnut rubber. Vans gives you two shims. One goes in during assembly and the other gets added a few hundred hours later when the rubber compresses a bit and the slop shows up. The extra shim keeps the rubber under compression in the relaxed position.

Last edited:
Thanks, IR172 for that info

Since I’m not the original builder, I don’t have the second shim.

Any concerns flying while I wait on shipping from Vans on the shim ?

Thanks, IR172 for that info

Since I’m not the original builder, I don’t have the second shim.

Any concerns flying while I wait on shipping from Vans on the shim ?

not necessarily urgent, but the slop accelerates wear on components.

Back