What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear slop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mconner7

Well Known Member
I noticed this 3 years ago soon after I bought my -10. I replaced the bushings but the new ones had the same amount of slack. Does this seem right?

Hmmm, seems I cannot upload the video of the slop. Suffice to say it had movement mostly up and down and a small amount sideways.

You can add a 2nd U-1002 washer if you haven't already. 2 were supplied with the kit for this reason. Not saying it will eliminate your problem, but it might help.

You can add a 2nd U-1002 washer if you haven't already. 2 were supplied with the kit for this reason. Not saying it will eliminate your problem, but it might help.

Todd, I think the slop is in the stainless bushings that the assembly pivots on at the base of the mount.

I noticed this 3 years ago soon after I bought my -10. I replaced the bushings but the new ones had the same amount of slack. Does this seem right?

Yes, the tolerances that Vans allows on parts like this is just too sloppy. I made various bushings on the lathe to address these issues, including the ones you are referring to. The slop is not from the bolt to the ID of the bushing. The problem is that they ream or machine the weldment tube BEFORE welding it on. Therefore, due to welding induced shrinking, you end up with out of round issues and varying ID's of the steel tube that the bushing goes in to. A few were off enough that I needed two different tapers on them to get rid of the play. For parts like this, it is typical to weld on an undersize tube and ream after welding. Either they don't do this or just don't execute the process well enough.

Larry

Last edited:
Just asking the question, is this a small amount of slop an issue? I'd think if you monitor and it doesn't get worse then so be it. If the welded tubes are out of round that seems like a difficult issue to resolve. I'd be very hesitant to ream them and reduce the tube thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back