What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New York Sales & Use Tax

mstrauss

Well Known Member
Patron
I will be moving to NY, and have been investigating the tax code as related to GA. It appears that NY exempts the sale of GA aircraft and parts to be installed on GA aircraft. This is in contrast to repair parts, which many states exempt and would not include kits, engines and avionics, unless replacing or repairing existing.

My question for New York RVers, what was your experience when registering your new RV? Did the tax man come knocking? Were you able to use the exemption when purchasing parts for your RV?

Thanks for the insight,

Last edited:
I will be moving to NY, and have been investigating the tax code as related to GA. It appears that NY exempts the sale of GA aircraft and parts to be installed on GA aircraft. This is in contrast to repair parts, which many states exempt and would not include kits, engines and avionics, unless replacing or repairing existing.

My question for New York RVers, what was your experience when registering your new RV? Did the tax man come knocking? Were you able to use the exemption when purchasing parts for your RV?

Thanks for the insight,

It's funny that you bring this up because Vans sent me an email yesterday telling me that NY now requires sales tax on my engine purchase, despite a tax exemption that has been in place since 2015. I sent back a copy of NY Tax Law § 1115 and the attached document from the state and got the CFO to sign off on my purchase being tax exempt. I do know that there are ongoing attempts to do away with the exemption, but lets hope those fail.

I haven't yet registered an airplane in the state, so I can't speak from experience on that part of your question, but any "machinery or equipment" you buy for your plane should be exempt from sales tax, and if you already have a plane you're bringing into the state then it should be exempt from use tax.

Attachments

• m15_3s.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 64
Back