What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Wing Jack

NDrv8r

Well Known Member
After someone in our communal hangar took my plane off jacks so he could use the jacks, I decided to build my own. This uses the Harbor Freight 58906 long 3 ton flat jack.
What you get in the kit is the Aluminum frame, hardware, nose cap. We are just ramping up on these, so they are listed as out of stock. These should be available next week in limited volumes. We will also shortly have available screw in jack points that fit the RV7 and likely others that use a 3/8 bolt for the tie down / jack point.

assembled.jpg

Careful, that design has a collapse mode. I made the same error, and thankfully BillL caught it with his good engineers eye.

Jack Collapse Mode.jpg

Fix was a vertical link to eliminate any possibility of the upper ring sliding on the jack body.

Jackstand Tension Strap 800w.jpg

I built these pretty cheap...simple welding exercise. As a hangar-maintenance item I probably didn't need two of them, but as I said....cheap. They've worked very well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 7.50.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 7.50.26 PM.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 155
I built these pretty cheap...simple welding exercise. As a hangar-maintenance item I probably didn't need two of them, but as I said....cheap. They've worked very well.

Same collapse mode, plus a buckling mode of the thin buttress leg.

Sorry guys. I don't mean to be critical to be mean. I just don't want to see any dropped airplanes...and flattened mechanics.

Last edited:
while it doesn't likely matter for airplane weight levels, but placing the jack base on top of the bottom aluminum U channels will significantly reduce the weight capacity of the jack. Those pieces will crack long before you reach the jack's capacity and no way they can handle 3 tons. A better design is to leave the jack base alone and build a ring for attaching the support brackets or use flat material like the pic a few posts above.

Realize you didn't ask for a critique, but many come here to borrow ideas and folks should understand any potential flaws.

Larry

Last edited:
Back