What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New type of canopy latch

rmarshall234

Well Known Member
Not on an RV but maybe the mods can excuse this one harmless transgression..

The canopy latch I designed and built for my biplane. Attaboy points for the first person that identifies which related industry I “borrowed” it from.

Attachments

• 28911688-665F-44B2-8734-FC60F405C487.jpg
    28911688-665F-44B2-8734-FC60F405C487.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 279
Just a WAG, given your sig and seeing similar things on 'chutes - Parachute designers/manufacturers?

Last edited:
Looks based on a three ring release for parachutes. The kind to quickly detach your parachute if it becomes tangled.

Carl WAG’d it and rc dude gave the specifics. Nice, that didn’t take long.

A “ Three Ring “ release system from the parachute rigging world except mine is only two rings. It’s the attachment/release point on a dual parachute harness and container system which supports the entire load of the jumper but can be easily released by pulling the curved pin. A “ mechanical advantage “ device which in its original 3 ring configuration, can reduce a 2000 lb load ( the jumper at opening shock) to a mere 20 lb pull force at the curved pin. Ingenious in its simplicity and proven over millions and millions of uses.

As for my modification…still a bit of a prototype but I’m pretty happy with it and it works well. The large yellow ring is welded to the fuselage and everything else is attached to the sliding canopy. The curved pin locks everything in place.

So how does an outside rescuer release this latch to open the canopy in an emergency?

So how does an outside rescuer release this latch to open the canopy in an emergency?

Yes, a good question and will be part of the next iteration. As Dave said, an external ring and placard and will be based on another skydiving rigging innovation - the RSL ( reserve static line ). I want to make it easier for the front seater to pull the pin too. However, I won’t be waiting for rescue personnel if I’m still conscious and I flip, the panel at my right shoulder has nylon screws on the aft end which I can break thru with a shoulder and squeeze my way out. The other thing I like about the canopy latch, is it is right in my field of vision as I sight down the nose for take off.

Experimentation with Experimentals, you’ve got to love it!

Attachments

• 6646B6B9-C4DC-48CD-AFB3-C3011CE81B83.jpg
    6646B6B9-C4DC-48CD-AFB3-C3011CE81B83.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 66
Back