What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New trim switch with paddle

bbaggerman

The autopilot switch in my legacy RV-12 went bad. I figured while I replaced that one I'd try a new and different switch for stabilator trim. I never have cared for that flat rocker switch I have to punch with my finger tip. The switches in the -12 panel are made by Otto and are available from Mouser Electronics. I ordered the K2ALMAAAAA, which has the long paddle, for about $20. Getting switches in and out is kind of a pain but is do-able. Attached is a picture of my new trim switch. I like it a lot!

1705972062155.jpeg

Can you describe the process you encountered in removing / replacing the switch?
For me my first step was to remove the fuse and switch panel from the aircraft. It's pretty simple. Just a power connector, a DB-25 connector, and a bunch of screws on the center panel.

The second step is to remove the switch from the board, which is a little harder but not too bad. The switch has quick connect tabs so there is no soldering involved. I used a large screwdriver to "walk" the switch off of the board. The thing that complicates this a bit is the plastic "ears" on the switch that hold it in the panel. I would pry a little bit and then compress the ears with a long screwdriver so they would work themselves out of the panel.

The new switch is just a different version of the switch that comes out so it is an exact match. Both switches are Otto K2 style switches. No modifications are necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • K2-Rocker-Switches-Catalog-Pages.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • Otto K2 Drawing.png
    Otto K2 Drawing.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the information. Are you able to remove the switch panel through the front of the instrument panel or do you have to pull the avionics bay skin?

Thanks

Thanks for the information. Are you able to remove the switch panel through the front of the instrument panel or do you have to pull the avionics bay skin?

Thanks
You've got to be able to remove the power connector and the DB-25 connector. Plan on taking the top off of the avionics bay unless you have an EFIS on the side you can remove to get access. I took my avionics bay skin off. Made access a lot easier and worth the trouble IMHO.

The autopilot switch in my legacy RV-12 went bad. I figured while I replaced that one I'd try a new and different switch for stabilator trim. I never have cared for that flat rocker switch I have to punch with my finger tip. The switches in the -12 panel are made by Otto and are available from Mouser Electronics. I ordered the K2ALMAAAAA, which has the long paddle, for about $20. Getting switches in and out is kind of a pain but is do-able. Attached is a picture of my new trim switch. I like it a lot!

Thanks for going the extra mile and putting in the link directly to Mouser! Made ordering my switch super easy!

Back