What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Tires, Tubes and Rotors for my Cleveland 500x5 wheels

chrispratt

Well Known Member
It was time for new tubes, tires and this time for rotors as well. I’ve been using Michelin AirStop tubes and Condor tires since my first flight almost 20 years ago. I ordered them in early October 2023 after hearing they were on backorder. True. I was told (by Aircraft Spruce) to expect them in November sometime. That month came and went and so I called to check and they said it will be about another 200 days before they come in. Yikes :oops:, talk about supply chain issues. So, I ordered a different brand which arrived the next day and, of course, I received an email that same afternoon saying my AirStops had arrived and were being shipped :rolleyes:. So okay, return the others and await the delivery. That was back in mid-December. Finally had time today to do the installation.

I’d forgotten how much work removing a tire and tube can be after 6 years on my RV-8. Gives me new respect for the guys working at tire shops. Anyway, I relearned what I needed to do.

Line up that valve-stem with the red dot. Aired up to 50 pounds.

First time I ever had a valve stem slide right into place. This has usually required some pulling and pushing and a few choice words. This time I put some Marvel Tool Oil on rubber grommet in the wheel and it slide right through with little resistance.

The new rotors will never look so good again.

Wheel bolts torqued to 90-inch pounds per Cleveland.

Now, on to the other side.

Chris

Back