What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New fledgling, an RV-Grin, and a lot to be grateful for

Tdeman

Well Known Member
The completion of this RV-4 has a few backstories...

In 2018, the same year I started work at Van's Aircraft, I started a long time dream of building an RV. I started the tail for what I expected to be an RV-7, however shortly thereafter I acquired an RV-6 wing and fuselage that were partially complete, and continued building away. I spent pretty much all my time outside of work working on that RV-6, but progress was still feeling slow. I was really eager to be flying. I was getting more busy with work, as well as a side gig and some new hobbies, and I got pretty burnt out on the build. About this time, my father mentioned to me a near-complete RV-4 airframe he'd seen in the corner of a friend's hangar...

"What's the story with that?" I asked....

Lars Pedersen, (a repeat offender who currently flies an RV-7) would go onto tell me:
Aaron Hansen and I became aware of an RV-4 project for sale in Oxnard, CA in early 2019. We were interested, so we flew down for a look. The original builder (Bob Each) was a cancer survivor who was attempting to build the plane as a light sport, apparently because he figured he couldn’t get his medical back. Unfortunately the cancer returned and he passed before he was able to finish. His widow and children had no interest so she put it up for sale.

Bob had hung a Lycoming O-235 of unknown pedigree on the nose among other things in his attempt to achieve LSA, but the airframe was generally well-constructed so we made an offer which his widow eventually accepted. In September 2019 we returned to SoCal, rented a big U-Haul van and made our way to the Oxnard Airport where we spent much of the day dismantling the aircraft and stuffing it in the van. Got back to Yolo County Airport late that day. The next day we unloaded it into a friend’s hangar...

And that's exactly where it was sitting when I asked about it.

As Lars had explained to me, they ventured into the RV-4 project because it would be a fun airplane to finish and fly in addition to their RV-7 and 7A they had each built. They wanted some time in an RV-4, but they needed a catalyst to set the plan into motion. So when I approached them with the O-320, MT propeller, and Avionics I had planned to use for my RV-6, we were able to strike a deal and get going.

Lars would help me (really taking the helm) in completing the airplane in exchange for some seat time in the form of Phase 1 flight testing. I did my best to fabricate parts, systems and assemblies from afar, and would make a trip down to CA every few months to install. Eventually, Scott McDaniels and I flew down for an Air Worthiness Inspection, and Lars made the first flight on June 20th 2023. Lars conducted a safe and succesful task-based phase 1 throughout the summer, and on August 11th, flew the airplane up to Aurora to deliver it.

After a quick lunch and a tour of the RV-15, I jumped in and took the 4 for a few circuits around KUAO. At this time I had nearly 200hrs in the various factory RV's, but the feeling of flying my own for the first time is something I won't soon forget. Since then, I've flown to and from work everytime the weather permitted, and enjoyed every minute of flying this nimble little airplane.

I'm extremely grateful for the assistance of Lars Pedersen, and the rest of the guys at the Yolo airport who would come by to lift wings, fit fiberglass, show us what they had done in their airplane, etc.

Syrus Devers, RV-14A builder, helped a bunch with airframe and fiberglass, and chased Lars up to KUAO to give him a ride home.
Spencer Delaney, who restored the Maule M4 he flies, pitched in on the engine installation.
Mark Hannum, fellow RV-4 owner, finished the empennage fairing and wheel pants, and assisted on numerous other finish items.
Glenn Duralia, still building his RV-14A, helped with heavy lifting.
Jordan Coonrad, my father, and an RV-8 re-builder, who helped with general airframe and system assembly.
Dillon Stewart, USAF KC-10 pilot extraordinaire, flew chase for the first flight in his dad’s RV-4.
All of the guys in the Van's Proto shop (past and present) who've put up with endless questions since the day I started.
And of course, my better half, Lauren, who's supported my obsession with homebuilt airplanes since the day I met her.

It's been a real journey getting this airplane in the air, and I'm excited to see where it's heading next.

I'll eventually try to backfill in a bit of a build log, but for now, here's a just few photos of this project...

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 171
Congratulations. Hope you have a safe and a enjoyable phase 1 testing on your new bird home to see you around the skys soon

Congratulations Taylor!! There’s nothing like flying your own airplane, especially one you built. And you did build it, just like I built your former RV6 kit (that was 90% done). I have 110 hours on that (your) -6 in the one year I’ve been flying, and that includes 3 months (!!) sitting in the paint shop last winter. You’re going to love your RV4. My prior airplane was an RV4 that was the best flying airplane I’ve ever owned. I hope you can bring it to Oshkosh, or SNF next year.

Enjoy the Ride Taylor & welcome to having your own ride! Kudos to the gang at KDWA for making it happen!
aloha

Back