What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New engine and building

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I've been planning for a new IO540 from Van's. Here's my question. Once an engine is installed, how long can it just hang there before one should worry about corrosion or whatever else happens to an engine just hanging there? I expect it could be 6 months to a year between engine install and first flight. Maybe longer if things don't go as planned.

Also, is buying through Van's the best option? Opinions appreciated.

a new engine has all machined surfaces covered in assembly lube, which is a thick oily goop. I don't know what the cylinder walls are coated with, but certainly the cam, lifters and all the bearings and journals will be coated. I think it will be quite safe for a long time. Call lycoming to confirm but I think you should be fine.

somebody told me about a mechanics school that ran a car engine with assembly lube only, and no oil in the engine. It ran for 15m before it seized. So you could even have oil starvation on startup (it happened to me because of an assembly error) for some considerable time before metal to metal contact. That STP stuff, which is what a lot of the builders use, is a very good lubricant.

I expect it could be 6 months to a year between engine install and first flight. Maybe longer if things don't go as planned.

I will say that since I got my engine, I have started working faster and more often (every day) so that it doesn't have to sit as long. It can make for a nice boost in motivation.

Mounting the engine, or in the box, makes little difference if you don't break any seals. It's still full of preservative. But make sure you don't rotate the crankshaft - some cylinders may be full of oil.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Like said, I put in the dehydrator plugs in all cylinders, and it has been over 2 years since opening the original Lycoming box. Also, there are exhaust caps that come with the Vans engines. So - sealing the exhaust, intake (before bolting on the carb or servo) and dehydrator plugs should cover all the bases. Mine is in a dry basement with single digit dew point in the winter and air-conditioning in the summers. The humidity test card that was packed in the engine is still all blue as it is hanging on a shelf near the engine. Seldom did the dehydrator plugs need purging, but maybe once in 6 months after the exhaust plates were removed.

Since the engine has already been run to full power during a Lyc test prior to shipment, there is no assembly lube that applies. The cylinders had a cup or more of oil in them. With good exhaust plates, you could easily put in more oil when installing the dehydrators in the top spark plug locations.

Go the the Lycoming website and search for storage documents for the official information.

Your environmental temperature and humidity conditions make a significant difference on the preparation effectiveness.

Back