What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Champion Lightning Series Magneto

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
Just watched this video from AVWeb at Oshkosh about the new Champion Lightning Series electronic magneto. Looks similar in concept to an E-Mag but is self sustaining at 100rpm and no maintenance through TBO. Bolt on magneto replacement. No battery or additional wiring required.

The only problem (for me)? Not available until 2026 :-(

I saw that video too. It sounded like there’s no option for spark advance. Seems like a disadvantage compared to PMags (I suppose some may disagree with that point). It does not require a connection to ship’s power so that’s a plus.

It looks kinda long, might be a tight fit on some aircraft?
I spent 45 minutes speaking with the lead engineer on this project. It is longer than a standard Slick mag, by 1/2", he said. He also said that he assembled the prototype that was on display on Thursday, before the show. As he wasn't sure how everything was going to fit, he had the case built bigger than required to assure that it would all fit.

He was extremely receptive to pilot input. We spoke about timing advance as well as options. He was brainstorming as we spoke and mentioned a "switch" that would allow a pilot to select fixed timing or variable timing.

Of course that was tempered with the requirements to have it PMA approved.

At first glance, it seems like a very nice piece of kit. We will see how it shakes out in the certification process.

Last edited:
Other than overhauls, what are the advantages over a standard mag?

That is a considerable advantage in itself. Also, most likely the timing will not drift over the life of the device due to not being mechanically based. I suspect this will be the beginning of the end of the traditional Slick mag.

Other than overhauls, what are the advantages over a standard mag?
Seems Champion recommends IRAN @500hrs increments , rebuild/replace at 2000hrs. Seems this new product you toss and replace @2000hrs. Set n forget it ? If waay less expensive good, but I doubt it. Savings in time doing 3 IRAN ….

Does it use aviation or auto sparkplugs?

Carl
Since Champion is the manufacturer, they will want you to use aviation plugs. IF you want to use automotive plugs, you will need to go to G3i and buy their auto plug kit so that you can run auto plugs. Their kit also lets you run auto plugs on conventional Bendix or Slick mags.

Just watched this video from AVWeb at Oshkosh about the new Champion Lightning Series electronic magneto. Looks similar in concept to an E-Mag but is self sustaining at 100rpm and no maintenance through TBO. Bolt on magneto replacement. No battery or additional wiring required.

The only problem (for me)? Not available until 2026 :-(
E-mag needs to watch out for this product. If their design targets hold up ( 100 rpm ). It will impact their sales

The E-Mag is not maintenance free. You still have to inspect it regularly. If this device can provide the starting performance like the E-Mag and without additional electric power connection then it's a no brainer for me to use this new magneto instead of using the E-Mag.

The E-Mag is not maintenance free. You still have to inspect it regularly. If this device can provide the starting performance like the E-Mag and without additional electric power connection then it's a no brainer for me to use this new magneto instead of using the E-Mag.
"to use this new magneto instead"
There is quite a distance before we run the risk of failing forward.

Back