What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some beta testers for RunwayFinder

Davepar

Well Known Member
I've been working on adding AIRMETs and SIGMETs to RunwayFinder. It's currently enabled on the beta site at http://beta.runwayfinder.com.

Here's what it looks like:

Click inside any AIRMET or SIGMET to get more info on it. Clicking an area covered by multiple AIRMET/SIGMETs will list all of them. Click on the link in the pop-up balloon to get even more info.

I think I have it working, but if anybody notices any differences between RF and the ADDS AIRMET page http://adds.aviationweather.gov/airmets, let me know.

To enable the display of AIRMETs and SIGMETs, click on the Settings link right under the logo and put a check next to AIRMET/SIGMET:

airsigmets2.png

You'll notice a few other new options in there (namely SUAs and class B/C/D airspace) which I'm still refining. Turn on too many options and your browser might crawl to stand-still, especially Internet Explorer. Performance on Firefox 3 seems to be a bit better.

Click on the "Legend" tab on the right sidebar to figure out what the different colors represent.

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks Dave

7/30/08 10:52am PST. Don't see any airmet or sigmet anywhere.

I love the runwayFinder.

TIP: It is kind of obvious, but you can save and load flight plans by using "cut and paste" in the location window. Paste them into a notepad and as a flightplan.txt file.

Kent

Runway Finder AIRMET and SIGMET info

Dave it may be my browser, IE 7, but the legend tab reveals colors only for the balloons and doesn't indicate any colors for the weather info. On the map I do see the colors.

Right now I'm tracking Doug Reeves between KBIE (Beatrice, NE) and 52F (Roanoke, TX) his home airport, and he's just crossed into Oklahoma. I see an orange line and a pair of red lines farther south (convective sigmet, I believe?).

My browser may need some IT help, but just thought I'd report in.

Don

Orange is convective outlook = longer-term possiblity of t-storms. Red lines are the bad ones.

Not sure why the colors aren't showing in the legend for you. It's working on my version of IE7, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the report.

Kent, you need to specifically turn on AIRMETs and SIGMETs in the setting box and they only work right now on the beta site, beta.runwayfinder.com. Not sure why they wouldn't be there other than that.

Duh... Why didn't I think of that.

Orange is convective outlook = longer-term possiblity of t-storms. Red lines are the bad ones.

Not sure why the colors aren't showing in the legend for you. It's working on my version of IE7, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the report.

Kent, you need to specifically turn on AIRMETs and SIGMETs in the setting box and they only work right now on the beta site, beta.runwayfinder.com. Not sure why they wouldn't be there other than that.

I see them now.:)

Kent

Back