What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need landing light upgrade help

mbuto

Howdy,

I'm in the process of an exterior light upgrade. I'm stuck on choosing a landing light. My RV-9A was built in 2008, but the current lights might as well be from 1908 :)

Attached is the current light mount. I did buy a PAR 36 LED without understanding just how big is was in relationship to the existing mount and the size of the wing cut out. I can return the new bulbs, but what to replace them with?

ASpruce does have a PAR 36 mount, but at over CAN$500 a piece, that seems excessive. Also, much of the photons generated by these lights would be lost due to the relatively small cut out. Probably still better than the Osram 64151 incandescent bulbs that I'm starting with.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Attachments

• Mount1.jpg
    Mount1.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 96
I would buy or make a new mount (Duckworks and Van's sell 'em) and talk with Paul at FLYLED's about light options. His LED offerings are excellent.

I have Baja Designs lights in my tips. This is the Sport series but they have more powerful that are slightly larger.

The lenses are changeable and dead quiet electrically. I use the FlyLED's wig wag too.

Last edited:
Suggestions

Based on the existing mount it appears you may be able to fit something like a Baja Designs Squadron Pro or Squadron Sport.
There are also eBay similar LED spotlights for under $50. I bought one for $20 to test and it is very bright and makes no radio noise. Pic attached below. The diameter is about 75mm.
Flyleds are good value but you would need to fabricate a bracket for the circuit board.

Attachments

• 20230203_174510.jpg
    20230203_174510.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Love my Baja Sports

These work great for taxi and landing. One in each wing to replace the older duckworks

Attachments

• A01F8049-1827-4AC8-97C2-97C79C3D1F11.jpg
    A01F8049-1827-4AC8-97C2-97C79C3D1F11.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 77
I have a pair of Baja Squadron Pro in a perfect working condition for sale if you are interested.

I can highly recommend the FlyLEDs solution, great value and awesome lighting output. Support from Paul is exceptional too.

I did the same upgrade

Very happy with my Squadron Pros. Shockingly bright, zero noise, low current draw. I got the “spot” version for both landing and taxi lights and that worked fine, but these things put out so much light you probably can’t go wrong. They work great with the FlyLED wigwag module, too.

How are they mounted? I'm not the builder and have limited resources to muck about.

Ditto on squadron pros. They can be mounted on the same mounts. In fact you can flip the mounts around and get the light closer to the lens since they don’t generate much heat. Give even better lighting coverage. Agree they are silent.

You might need to add a cover plate to the existing hole in bracket and the make a new cutout to fit the bajas but that’s a quick easy job.

Last edited:
Howdy,

I'm in the process of an exterior light upgrade. I'm stuck on choosing a landing light. My RV-9A was built in 2008, but the current lights might as well be from 1908 :)

Attached is the current light mount. I did buy a PAR 36 LED without understanding just how big is was in relationship to the existing mount and the size of the wing cut out. I can return the new bulbs, but what to replace them with?

ASpruce does have a PAR 36 mount, but at over CAN$500 a piece, that seems excessive. Also, much of the photons generated by these lights would be lost due to the relatively small cut out. Probably still better than the Osram 64151 incandescent bulbs that I'm starting with.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Mike,
You should be able to use those PAR 36 LED bulbs you bought and it should work just fine. You’ll need to make a mount for them if not using a Duck works mount. I’ve done this a couple times and it’s not difficult. If you need to enlarge the wing leading edge opening (you said it was too small), duck works sells new lenses as well, or make your own. I’ve done that too, and I was an amateur. It was actually easy with plastic I bought from Home Depot. It might take you a couple days, but it is doable, and probably will give you more light for less amps.

Mike,
You should be able to use those PAR 36 LED bulbs you bought and it should work just fine. You’ll need to make a mount for them if not using a Duck works mount. I’ve done this a couple times and it’s not difficult. If you need to enlarge the wing leading edge opening (you said it was too small), duck works sells new lenses as well, or make your own. I’ve done that too, and I was an amateur. It was actually easy with plastic I bought from Home Depot. It might take you a couple days, but it is doable, and probably will give you more light for less amps.

Is this what you are referring to? I'm waiting on info from DW on this.

http://duckworksav.com/LELightKits.html#LE%20Lampless%20Kits

Back