What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with Amp meter

Well Known Member
Has any one seen this problem before? I am just starting to shake down the electrical system and this one is wierd.

When I push my mike button on the stick with the com radio on, the amp meter goes full deflection negative. I changed the wires on the amp gage and now they go full positive. The radio is only rated at 10 amps not the 40 amps the gage is showing me. I recieve ok for being in a basement and have not been able to check out the transmit side yet. The intercom works perferct. Any ideas?

Van's amp gage? more info needed

What kind of amp gage do you have?
Do you have Van's amp gage? :eek:
Are you using a shunt or halls effect?
Where is the shunt on the alternator output (b-lead) or on the battery?

Either way this is not normal, obviously. If you have Van's amp meter that could be the source of the problem as I have heard (only rumor) that it does some strange things. From what I recall van's advise is to ignore amp gage when you TX on the radio. That is right don't look when talking on radio. The full scale defection does not hurt it per Vans info. I don't like that and think it is a poor gage that does this.

If it is not in the gage, try twisting the wire pair to the gage from the shunt, re-route wires or use a shielded two conductor cable. If you use a shielded cable, ground the "drain wire" or shield wire to the gage and leave the other end open. It sounds like you are transmitting and the gage is picking up RF, although you say you are not transmitting? Not sure what you mean? More info on would help. Good luck.

Regards George

Last edited:
Back