What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help replacing rear facing Superior cold air induction sump

grutledge2

I'm New Here
I have a Superior IO-360 (XP-360) from 2006 (now 750 hrs), with the original lightweight Ryton rear-facing induction sump. This sump was discontinued when it fell apart after engine backfires.

I had a backfire and the plastic cool air intake plenum broke. Now Superior says they no longer have any replacement sump assembly that would work. Their current cold-air induction sump is forward facing. I understand the B1-E engine has a rear-facing induction, but I believe the intake and exhaust ports would not match (but haven't verified that).

Does anyone know of a sump assembly that would be a bolt-on replacement for the old/ now discontinued Ryton sump? (it was part number SV78903)

Geoff

Geoff

What aircraft is your engine in?
You’ll need a complete sump setup including intake tubes as the ryton sump was different to anything else.
The next problem is that a new sump and tubes may affect the exhaust routing. (That’s why I asked which aircraft).
I had a ryton sump that only lasted a few hours, fortunately forward facing.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks!
Yes, that is the question: Will the B1E induction tubes interfere with the existing exhaust manifold pipes. The engine is installed in a Glasair Super II, with 4 into 1 crossover exhaust.
I may have to just get the B1E sump and see if it fits, as I don't see any alternative sump available!

Geoff

I know when I ordered my original exhaust (vetterman) I had to get a special one for the ryton sump. Fortunately when I changed to the newer sump it fitted but wasn’t perfect (didn’t allow access to some drains etc)
So just beware that the Lycoming sump will fit the engine but may interfere with the exhaust. Plus you might have to check that the fuel controller is in exactly the same position.
Unfortunately RV’s don’t use the rear configuration so it’s unlikely that anyone on this group will have previously done the same change.

I’m surprised how long you managed to make the sump last. One of the first hot starts I did and the sump was history.

Hope it all turns out ok.

Regards

Peter

Replacement rear-facing induction/oil sump

Hi Peter, thanks very much.

Yes the Ryton sump made it to 716.4 engine hours.

I ordered the -B1E sump with rear-facing induction today
Jesse Robinson at Colorado Air Parts was very helpful.

My fingers are crossed that the existing exhaust pipes will not interfere with the new intake pipes!

Geoff

Back