What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navigation upgrade

Manchu16

For many reasons, I am ready to move beyond my iFly 740 gps. Long shot but wanted to see if anyone is running the proposed config.

Currently….

UAvionix Echo is providing GPS, traffic and weather via WiFi to an iPad running Foreflight. Echo provides the same to an iFly 740 (defaulted to use the echo GPS fix). The iFly 740 drives the TruTrak AP via rs-232 as well as a pair of AV-30s. (One serial line split running NMEA at 9600)

I am considering replacing the 740 with a Garmin 660.

Proposed….

The UAvionix Echo is providing GPS, traffic and weather via WiFi to an iPad running Foreflight. The 660 is connected up to the iPad running Foreflight via Bluetooth to share flight plans. The 660 drives the TruTrak AP via rs-232 as well as a pair of AV-30s. (One serial line split running NMEA at 9600). I know I will not have traffic nor weather on the 660. Right now this is primarily driving my autopilot and the av-30s

Will the ipad/Foreflight pull GPS from the 660 or from the echo? If it pulls from the 660 will I lose the traffic/weather from the echo on the ipad?

I am assuming there is not a good way to get traffic /weather out of a non-Garmin adsb in into the 660; echo UAT, stratux, stratus,…

Not ready for a complete panel overhaul on this VFR bird. Anything I am missing?

I am considering replacing the 740 with a Garmin 660.

Proposed….

The UAvionix Echo is providing GPS, traffic and weather via WiFi to an iPad running Foreflight. The 660 is connected up to the iPad running Foreflight via Bluetooth to share flight plans. The 660 drives the TruTrak AP via rs-232 as well as a pair of AV-30s. (One serial line split running NMEA at 9600). I know I will not have traffic nor weather on the 660. Right now this is primarily driving my autopilot and the av-30s

Will the ipad/Foreflight pull GPS from the 660 or from the echo? If it pulls from the 660 will I lose the traffic/weather from the echo on the ipad?

I am assuming there is not a good way to get traffic /weather out of a non-Garmin adsb in into the 660; echo UAT, stratux, stratus,…

Not ready for a complete panel overhaul on this VFR bird. Anything I am missing?

iPad will still get position from echo. The aera 660 can only send GPS position out via RS232 so that rules out iPad.

But the aera 660 can provide RS232 to your autopilot and the AV-30's exactly like the iFly was. The same signal going to the AV-30s can be split again if you want to tune frequencies into the standby position on a newer comm radio with SL 40 protocol. Just touch the frequency on the screen of the aera and it populates the standby frequency.

You will love the 660 (or it's big brother the 760). I might suggest adding a GDL 50 to feed traffic and weather to the 660. I had this very configuration in my RV-3B so effectively any device made was usable in the aircraft, whether Garmin or all the others. Also, the GDL 50 (or 51, 52) is now compatible with Foreflight so perhaps the GDL could provide position to Foreflight.

iPad will still get position from echo. The aera 660 can only send GPS position out via RS232 so that rules out iPad

Jim, that is contrary to my understanding.

Foreflight prioritizes GPS signals, https://support.foreflight.com/hc/e...PS-sources-prioritized-for-use-in-ForeFlight- , and Garmin is on top of the list and GDL 90 is around the middle.

The 660 will send position over Bluetooth, just no traffic / weather even if the 660 is connected to a GDL 39. Not sure if that changes with the 50/51. FF is configured to accept it. https://foreflight.com/support/support-center/category/about-foreflight-mobile/226218928

It has been a bit since I have done this, so things may have changed.

Last edited:
Back