What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N Number

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
So it's time to pick an N number and all the ones I want or that have personal meaning are already taken so now i just want something that's easy to say over the radio.

Any suggestions on letter and number combinations that aren't tongue twisters? How about any combos to avoid - based on personal experience maybe.

Also, I've read and heard that short N numbers are very hard to come by. Any experience with those?

TIA

I would avoid 3 or less ie N28M. You will spend your entire trip being asked if it's your full call sign. It's annoying and also expensive since some bag of hammers made a business out of buying them up with a bot.

I, J, N, R, S, U are all 3 syllables. Takes longer to say

N number

Go Triple Digits …mines Triple Six Tango Alpha ….easy to say …my current build is a SeaRey ….222KA ( reserved) Triple Two Kilo Alpha .

Avoid triples

Go Triple Digits …mines Triple Six Tango Alpha ….easy to say …my current build is a SeaRey ….222KA ( reserved) Triple Two Kilo Alpha .

If you look at my signature block, you'll see I had 444JT on my RV4. (Things like that were actually available 11 years ago) Cool N-number. BUT I found that ATC would frequently address me as "Triple 4JT. That format sometimes did not trigger my ear.

I also don't really like "RV" at the end. Your call sign will many times become RVXXXRV.

JMO

Odd N-number combinations....

I chose mine from a personal history story. 232 SuzieQ rhymes but that was not intentional. I will usually preface that with 'Experimental' on my first call. Sometimes they will answer back SuzieQ, especially if they know my call sign from before, but some come back with Sierra Quebec, which is fine with me. I might whisper 'get a life' before I key the mic but....;) So they MIGHT read back 'triple 2' or whatever or they might not.

I've had pilots monitoring the local frequency on a cross country trip respond just to say Hi, and once had this conversation with an airline pilot friend who happened to be overhead outside of Omaha :p; 'Hey! SuzieQ! Is that you? You headed for OSH? Could you pick me up one of the pamphlets on that new Deisel engine?' :D I have a friend who flies both a -3 and a -6 and both of his N numbers end in AA, which, when said out loud, sounds like alfalfa. :D:D:D

Your N number will be with you and that airplane for a long time; it will be a connection with you and your airplane. Pick something meaningful, something you like and like to say, and that might even have some history behind it. You were on the right track with your first searches. Keep looking for something with some meaning. They can't ALL be taken!

in my world

In my world, it seems everyone has a "6" in there number, including me. Every time I hear a "6" i think it is me...

Yeah, you’ll have no luck with short numbers, so concentrate on the last three. I would spend some time with an “available N numbers” website and sound them out. Minimize syllables. We got lucky with one that was both relevant and easy to say: 184KM = One Eight For Karen & Mike. And “Four Kilo Mike” rolls off our tounges, most of the time.

Last edited:
Avoid 3 (tree), 5 (fife), and 9 (ninner) because of proper phonetic pronunciation.

Double letters are good for hearing your call sign when ATC calls.

Less syllables are easier to say. 7 and 0 are 2 syllables.

While flying, ATC will usually shorten your call sign. My N414WW will normally be 4WW. Think of what yours will be.

Once you think of what you want, say it out loud. You’ll know immediately it it’s right for you.

For me, I’m always for a double whiskey. ;)

maybe you've already done this, but if you're searching on the FAA website theres a function that allows you to select the last two digits and search all available.

I put in my initials and was happily surprised to discover that while my birthday wasn't available, my anniversary was.

If that doesn't work, the only thing I'd suggest is the number right before the letters shouldn't be a 7. The reason is that 7 is the only number that's multisyllabic and it makes a noticeable difference when you start abbreviating. (yeah I know ninner and zero, but really, there's no way around saying "seven"). For example, 755JQ becomes 5JQ which is easier to spit out than 557JQ becoming 7JQ.

This reminds me of way back in the day when I ferried a Canadian airplane into Chicagos and landed at Midway. I still remember the N Number: Charlie Golf Juliet Quebec Juliet. It was awful.

I chose 168TX for my -6 because of my long time EAA Chapter 168. My current project is 268TX because on 02/29/2020, "SBS PRGM OFC" in Washington DC reserved all available "168" numbers for some reason. They have a "purge" date of 99/99/9999.

Last edited:
My airport is called Vaca Moo ( like the sound of the cow MUUU) so my plane is N52VM because the 2 (sounds like TUUU) so 5 TU vaca MU has a rhyme to it.

Mine is short

My N number that is.
I’m asked all the time to say full call sign. N8JL, and then I tell them that’s all I could afford..usually gets a laugh, or groan.

I am still several months away from getting my -14A in the air, but I reserved my N number two years ago. Like others, I wanted short and easy to say, and found N288EE was available. I look forward to saying it on the radio on my first flight.

I will add my opinion to the other opinions already posted. Go with one that sounds good to YOU when spoken out loud and/or has some meaning to YOU! These will catch your attention faster, especially when there is frequency congestion. As a long time controller (Air Force Reserves) I can tell you that, unless it's something outrageous, controllers don't care as long as you give timely responses.

Mine is N819PR which sounds great over the radio. It also happens to be my birthday and where I was born. August 19, in Puerto Rico. :D

Last edited:
For my RV, I bagged a short number before the sleazebag hoarder took it over... anyhoo, you wanna hear a tail number that's absolutely awful? Try this one;

N9790Z. Niner Seven Niner Zero Zulu.

A tongue twister with ten(!) syllables. To top it off, it's a noisy old AT-6, so half the time the controllers don't hear it the first time and I have to repeat it. Ugh. Since you can't get a short number, get fewer syllables...

My T-6G's N-number is N49939. First call is difficult, but then it becomes "Texan 939", which works pretty well. I inherited the N-number......:)

I would avoid 3 or less ie N28M. You will spend your entire trip being asked if it's your full call sign. It's annoying…

Agreed! I don’t like flying with a short N number anyway.. they sound funny to me.. I reserved 508KT. Five oh eight Kilo Tango.. out anniversary and our initials.. I put hers first!

BC Squadron

Sometimes a number will find you. Something happens to inspire an idea.
I’m a charter member of the N. Texas Butt Crack Squadron. And something happened on the flight to Vans Homecoming back in 1995.
Our group was yucking it up on 122.75 out over the west. Someone in a not so nice voice told us “you Yahoos need to go to another Chanel “ Our guy ask what channel is the Yahoo channel???
We had a good laugh,,, and have since referred to our selves as Yahoos in jest a few times since those days.
You can imagine we didn’t take ourselves too seriously by our squadron name.
I picked N6YH for my RV8 ‘Borrowed Horse’
I have N46YH on my RV6, under construction.
Using the old joke on my airplanes makes me smile.

I have N16YH and N22YH. Reserved for the next builds I have planed. Javron Super Cub and a RV15
My birth year was 1946,, so I have used 46 on several airplanes that I have built over the years.
N46RV. RV6. First RV build
N46RE. RV6. An Eco of the first
N82RV. RV8,,, my second RV build.
N46NS. A North Star Kit Super Cub. Dislike NS, Hard to say,,,, that was a mistake! Picking that one..
N#s are a fun part of home building
Don’t give up looking for your fun number,, find something that makes you smile.

Last edited:
My n number is N624F

N= a book in the Bible called…..”NUMBERS”
6= chapter six
24= the verse, that reads “the Lord bless and keep you”
F= foxtrot (or fullmer..my last name

So when I key the mic I’ll be sending a blessing to all who hear me.

Figure in this world we live in I could at least encourage someone….. as I’m flying around in one great MACHINE!,,

My n number is N624F

N= a book in the Bible called…..”NUMBERS”
6= chapter six
24= the verse, that reads “the Lord bless and keep you”
F= foxtrot (or fullmer..my last name

So when I key the mic I’ll be sending a blessing to all who hear me.

Figure in this world we live in I could at least encourage someone….. as I’m flying around in one great MACHINE!,,

Mines 666TA…..We would get along great as a Flight 😬

I got "838" as the numerical part years ago. If I introduce myself over the radio as "RV..." then I've gotten the 8 out of the way right up front. It'll be painted to look like a T-38 I flew years (and years and years and YEARS!) ago. So, it's an 8, that looks like a 38. The ending letters are "AT" for the AT-38. N838AT.

While I'm not a hoarder of N numbers, I do have one other one on file. Someday I'd love to have a high wing bush plane. If that comes to pass, I'd love to paint it like the Grasshoppers with olive drab and invasion stripes. Should all of that come to pass, I have the perfect N number for it: N445GT.
"5GT" looks alot like SGT, so I have a '44 SGT. Obviously it'll be referred to as "Sarg." Sigh. Maybe someday.

Number

Mine is part of my Sweetie's lucky number.
511RV
When ATC calls One Romeo Victor sounds cool.
I also have 5115 reserved for future use.

Two things I have learned by experience that don't work well for registration marks.....

First, three zeros in a row is really hard to say. A plane I fly is N2000X, and having to say "two zero zero zero xray" on many radio calls is really a pain. Fortunately, most controllers shorten it to "two thousand xray" which helps a lot.

Many of the factory airplanes at Sonex have registration marks that end in "SX", which makes sense. However, when you try to say "sierra xray" on the radio it often comes out "sexray", and if you slow down and really enunciate it, it is a bit cumbersome to say. I'd avoid SX, even if I were building a Sonex.

In general, as has been discussed in this thread, something that easily rolls off the tongue is definitely the way to go. You will have to say that number thousands of times over the course of your flying career, so might as well make it easy.

I would avoid 3 or less ie N28M. You will spend your entire trip being asked if it's your full call sign. It's annoying and also expensive since some bag of hammers made a business out of buying them up with a bot.

I, J, N, R, S, U are all 3 syllables. Takes longer to say

Can't say I've ever been asked for a full call sign. Just give them the full call sign a bit slower on initial call up. "November-eight-zulu-november..." About a third of the time they'll come back with, "November-three-six-tango" or some other randomness. And we try once more, and then it works.

I have reserved N1125P. 11 and 25 are my kids' birth days and P because I'm their papa. So anytime I think about doing something stupid, I'll see my callsign and remember what I have on the line.

As to the original question, I personally wanted to avoid:
* too many duplicated numbers -- I once flew a plane that had '555' in the callsign and I found it a bit harder to say and ATC would often need to clarify how many 5's we were saying. That often wasted a lot of time in the busy NYC airspace.
* a callsign that ends in two letters that don't end in a vowel (even worse if the third to last number ends in a consonant sound) -- think '8QG' -- the hard stop of the consonant sounds makes it a bit harder to get your callsign out quickly at the end of each transmission. Words/letters ending in a vowel seem to flow easier for me (think the Italian language).
* short callsigns -- ATC will always want to clarify whether that's your full callsign

Tell me what you say.....

Avoid 3 (tree), 5 (fife), and 9 (ninner) because of proper phonetic pronunciation. Less syllables are easier to say. 7 and 0 are 2 syllables.

Then there are the N-numbers that came with the Antique/Classic airplanes. My Cub was christened with the numbers 77597 when she left the assembly line in Ponca City, Oklahoma. (Yes, she is a Ponca City Cub, for those that know what that is!) Having said her call sign for 5+ decades, those numbers easily roll off my tongue. Five niner (or nine) seven is what ATC comes back with. So: it is also what you get used to saying. I have never stumbled with that number, at least not after the first year of saying it! ;)

232 SuzieQ comes out as 2 SuzieQ (rhymes!) or 2 Sierra Quebec, either of which also roll off my tongue after 26+ years. It seems to become emblazoned in your brain! That is also easy to pick up in the ATC chatter as well. Part of it is I am listening to see what they say back: Sierra Quebec (ah, come ON, dude!:rolleyes:) or SuzieQ (cool controller!:cool:). I will acknowledge with whichever one they use. Sometimes SuzieQ just comes out regardless....:rolleyes: When I'm in the pattern at an uncontrolled airport, it just comes out as 'SuzieQ, left downwind runway 34....' Does one HAVE to use the phonic alphabet or, for that matter, a number at all when in the pattern? There are many pilots at my home airport that call in "Yellow Cub" or "Red and white RV" as their call number.....

Once you think of what you want, say it out loud. You’ll know immediately it it’s right for you.

For me, I’m always for a double whiskey. ;)

That cracks me up......! Single malt? :D

Agreed! I don’t like flying with a short N number anyway.. they sound funny to me.. I reserved 508KT. Five oh eight Kilo Tango.. out anniversary and our initials.. I put hers first!

I like it. My wife's name is Nina, so I tell her that I put her name first as well with N762G :D

As others have said, I'd go with the fewest syllables, and personally avoid 3 and 5 so I don't have to say "TREE" or "FIFE" at night in IMC in a rainstorm on a crosswind approach after a long day.

Last edited:
I like it. My wife's name is Nina, so I tell her that I put her name first as well with N762G :D

As others have said, I'd go with the fewest syllables, and personally avoid 3 and 5 so I don't have to say "TREE" or "FIFE" at night in IMC in a rainstorm on a crosswind approach after a long day.

Do you guys actually say "tree" and "fife"? I think of that being more for non-English speakers to have something they can pronounce. Most people I hear in NYC airspace (including ATC) say the actual numbers and also shorten F to "fox".

Do you guys actually say "tree" and "fife"? I think of that being more for non-English speakers to have something they can pronounce. Most people I hear in NYC airspace (including ATC) say the actual numbers and also shorten F to "fox".
No. Abbreviation depends on the situation, and what's being communicated.

Two things I have learned by experience that don't work well for registration marks.....

First, three zeros in a row is really hard to say. A plane I fly is N2000X, and having to say "two zero zero zero xray" on many radio calls is really a pain. Fortunately, most controllers shorten it to "two thousand xray" which helps a lot.

Many of the factory airplanes at Sonex have registration marks that end in "SX", which makes sense. However, when you try to say "sierra xray" on the radio it often comes out "sexray", and if you slow down and really enunciate it, it is a bit cumbersome to say. I'd avoid SX, even if I were building a Sonex.

In general, as has been discussed in this thread, something that easily rolls off the tongue is definitely the way to go. You will have to say that number thousands of times over the course of your flying career, so might as well make it easy.

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away we had a F-18C with the side number '000'. Around the boat it was referred to as 'Triple Nutz' on the radio. I don't think the FAA would go for that.... :D

Years ago, I was a partner in 9006M. I could deal with it, by putting a slight space after the first zero. ‘Niner zero, zero six Mike’. But a fair number of controllers would add a zero (‘niner zero zero zero six mike’).

That might be the best reason to build a Sonex that anybody has ever mentioned.

The Aeronautical Information Manual, section 4 has the phonic pronunciation listed as I noted, however, what pilots actually do and what is expected are quite often two different things.

My soap box statement is that just because it's being done, doesn't mean it's right; what you're willing to pass by, you're willing to accept, so it's entirely up to you. I still hear pilots say on the radio "traffic in the area please advise" even though that is specifically called out by the FAA, in both the AIM and AC's, not to say.

So do I say fife and tree? Yes. But then again, my kids would likely not consider me "cool" either.

Last edited:
The Aeronautical Information Manual, section 4 has the phonic pronunciation listed as I noted, however, what pilots actually do and what is expected are quite often two different things.

My soap box statement is that just because it's being done, doesn't mean it's right; what you're willing to pass by, you're willing to accept, so it's entirely up to you. I still hear pilots say on the radio "traffic in the area please advise" even though that is specifically called out by the FAA, in both the AIM and AC's, not to say.

So do I say fife and tree? Yes. But then again, my kids would likely not consider me "cool" either.

Fair enough. Though I would argue that the AIM just wants you to use the phonetic alphabet, not necessarily pronounce the words exactly as written. People have all different types of accents and the words sound different all over the country. There are also other words people don't say as written in the NATO alphabet:
A - Al-fah -- I usually hear Al-fuh (same ending for D, I, L, S)
O - Oss-cah -- Sounds like someone from Boston
Q - Keh-beck -- never heard that actually said
U - You-nee-form / oo-nee-form
V - Vik-tah -- another Bostonian
4 - Fow-er -- Is that pronounced like Fowler without the 'l'?

Fair enough. Though I would argue that the AIM just wants you to use the phonetic alphabet, not necessarily pronounce the words exactly as written. People have all different types of accents and the words sound different all over the country. There are also other words people don't say as written in the NATO alphabet:
A - Al-fah -- I usually hear Al-fuh (same ending for D, I, L, S)
O - Oss-cah -- Sounds like someone from Boston
Q - Keh-beck -- never heard that actually said
U - You-nee-form / oo-nee-form
V - Vik-tah -- another Bostonian
4 - Fow-er -- Is that pronounced like Fowler without the 'l'?

AIM 4-2-7 has the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) phonetic alphabet chart that specifically notes "Phonic (Pronunciation)".

AIM 4-2-7 has the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) phonetic alphabet chart that specifically notes "Phonic (Pronunciation)".

But it doesn't say 'required pronunciation' ... :cool:

Out of curiosity, do you pronounce A, D, I, L, O, S, U, V, and 4 as written in the pronunciation column?

But it doesn't say 'required pronunciation' ... :cool:

Out of curiosity, do you pronounce A, D, I, L, O, S, U, V, and 4 as written in the pronunciation column?

I do, as best as possible. Although in fairness, having spent a couple decades in the military probably helped drill that in. And while the AIM is not actually a "regulation", it does say "Pilots should use". YMMV when talking with the FSDO.

Last edited:
But it doesn't say 'required pronunciation' ...

I also don't remember reading anywhere that you "shall" use those for domestic flights even though I did use them for so long it feels natural.

However now that I'm retired my most congested airport flights are at most into a Class D so I usually say "Five Two Vaca Moo" on my first contact with ATC and if they ask me to repeat (they rarely do) I'll say "Five Two Victor Mike" Once I know ATC has my correct registration I keep saying "Five Two Vaca Moo". I also use "Five Two Vaca Moo" at all uncontrolled airports.

N number

I worked for years to get a number ending in 711, I finally got N6711 which will stay with the RV6A until I die or sell.

RV think again

I was creative enough on my 14 to assign RV to the last letters not realizing a decent % of airframes have the same designation. Now I hear RV by ATC I immediately think I’m being called. My new airframe will be triple 8 10 (It’s a RV-10). Easy to say (I hope) and not many that sound the same. Get something unique or it will be annoying.

I worked for years to get a number ending in 711, I finally got N6711 which will stay with the RV6A until I die or sell.

That's why I love decals. When I sold my RV8 I was able to keep my N52VM. I just did all the paperwork for the buyer so he could have his own N that he liked. Now I have that on my current plane.

I dearly wanted N34PB as my RV-8's callsign in an ongoing effort to make the -8 a tribute to my relative and namesake, John "Scarsdale Jack" Newkirk. Scarsdale Jack was Squadron Leader of the famous Flying Tigers in WW II and was KIA in 1942. His aircraft was number 34 and the squadron he led was the "Panda Bears" - hence 34 and Papa Bravo.

I was disappointed when the FAA showed N34PB as unavailable (assigned to a Beechcraft Baron), but further investigation showed the Baron was actually deregistered and the N-number was scheduled to be released in a year or so.

So, if you have a favorite N-number that's been assigned to a deregistered aircraft, set a calendar reminder to reserve it the day it expires.

Worked for me.

Attachments

• IMG_9385.jpeg
    IMG_9385.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 57
  • AVG Newkirk.jpg
    AVG Newkirk.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 66
Tailnum.com?

I've noticed that Tailnum.com hasn't been updated for a while now. It used to be a great tool to search for various combinations. Has it been abandoned?

I would choose one ending in "QQ" - especially if you fly in and out of less busy Class D airports.

Over a bit of time you will become known as "Quack Quack".

N321QQ: "Quack Quack ready for takeoff"

Tower: "Quack Quack, cleared for takeoff"

N321QQ: "Quack Quack"

Tower: "Quack Quack, frequency change approved"

When returning back home...

Tower: "Quack Quack, enter right downwind for 18"

Makes for effiicient communication! :D

Back