What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery oil leak

XLS+PAT

Been trying to track down an oil leak on my Titan 0-360. Engine is about 12 years old with 500 hours on the Hobbs. I've found a fine oil mist on the rear baffling just behind cylinder #3.

Tried looking everywhere. Today a friend recommended looking at the oil pressure relief valve. Sure enough when I ran my finger along the underside of it, there was a drip of oil. Has anyone else seen this type of oil leak before?

I hope it just involves getting a new gasket.

Thanks
Pat

RV7 KHAF

While an easy replacement, a little caution is in order. That cap is under a moderate compression. Depending upon the configuration, once you pass the last thread, the cap will pop off and springs, washers and balls will come out. Be sure to keep pressure on the cap as you un-thread it and have a hand ready to catch parts. Definately not hard, but the unknowing could be spending time looking for parts on the hanger floor.

Thanks for the info. There is a video on Youtube on how to replace the PRV. It cautions about being careful removing it because it's under spring pressure.

Pat
RV7 KHAF

Back