What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My general wiring plan as I go...

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
The clue bird is circling closer and closer in regards to having a plan to actually installing various electrical bits around the kit.

I'm sorry if other versions of my words have already been said and written here, I just need to say it my way so that my tiny brain is happy. If my words are wrong, please let me know.

This: As each new component arrives in the workshop, eg. stick grips and A/P servos, my plan will be to see how many wires are required for that item.

If it only needs 2-4 wires, I will forgo a connector. Instead, I'm going to crimp female D-sub pins onto each of them. Then, I will crimp male D-sub pins onto the end of similar gauge wire, marking both ends of that wire with the color code of the original lead it will be connected to. Finally, the joint will be covered in heat shrink, and made semi-permanent.

If the component has more than 2-4 wires, I will crimp female and male D-sub pins as above, except now I will use an actual D-sub connector with the appropriate number of pins to make the connection.

I have been frozen, looking at wires dangling from aileron trim motors and heated pitot tubes and roll servos, wondering how to manage them. Now wired stick grips have arrived, only making things worse. So, this is my plan to deal with this: Female pins on the unit. Male pins on the leads to the unit. Simple heat shrink connections where there are few wires, and D-sub connectors where there are 5 or more.

What have I forgotten?

On my RV-3B, I have a single connector at the wing root for a wing. Okay, on the left wing, there are two of them, but the right wing only has one. Each component has provisions for removal from the wiring at the component, and there's access to each.

I use the pin/pin connection here and there, but not frequently. If a device has only two wires and I'm using that pin/pin system, I'll use a male pin on one wire and a female pin on the other wire coming from the device, so that they can't be hooked up wrong in the future.

Dave

Hot wires are less likely to short out after being disconnected if they have female terminals.
If polarity is important, choose the sex of the terminals to prevent reversed polarity.

Back