What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mustang II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuse is 38" wide Bob

The 37" width of the T18 fuse is more aerodynamic (airfoil shaped) for the length.

Bob

I know this is a typo Bob cuz I know you know your T-18 history :D The fuse is 38" and the S-18 is indeed 2" wider.

I've owned two T-18s. One with the folding wing (Lu Sunderland design) and one standard T-18. My first T-18 was a pussycat to land but didn't fly as well in the air as my second T-18. I've landed a few RVs and my first T-18 was just as easy to land as an RV. My second T-18 flew wonderfully in the air. It handled like an airplane should, however for some reason it seemed to be more difficult to land. I'm not sure what the difference was but I truly enjoyed both of my T-18s.

I've never sat in a Mustang II let alone fly one, but if you find a good one, the T-18 can be a dream to fly. When I bought my first T-18 I probably had around 200 hours total time with about 30 hours tailwheel time. Landing my first T-18 it was a non event. Would I own a T-18 again? In a heartbeat!

My choices for the RV are the good handling characteristics as well as a slower stall speed but mainly I wanna build MY own airplane from start to finish. My hats are off to those who have built and finished a T-18. Before you think it is an impossible task I know great guy who built a fantastic T-18 in just 3 years. His plane is in Sport Aviation this month in the propellor article. It can be done.

However, building an airplane means different things to different people. A T-18 is mostly plans built (you can get some prefab parts for the T-18 and the S-18 is now a kit). The early RV guys had no prepunched options nor quick build options. They had to cut their trim tab from the elevator.

In the middle are us prepunched guys/gals. The holes are there but you have to drill, deburr, dimple/countersink each hole as needed. Quite a bit of work but alot has been done to keep the builder from making mistakes.

The other spectrum is the quickbuild. Less assembly, however still alot of work. Not everyone can build a plane even a quickbuild.

In the end you have to look at your misson, your skills, your pocket book and your desires.

The Thorp T-18 was the first "real" airplane that I owned and I'll always look at one with admiration.

One thing I don't know if anyone has mentioned is that the Mustang II can be built from plans. In fact, I am willing to bet that well over 90% were scratch built as opposed to kit built.........

The RV-6 can also be plans-built. Other than the long bent parts (spars ect.) and the the formed ribs, you don't get much more than a stack of sheet metal in the RV-6 kits (at least the older kits).

For example, this is what an older RV-6 wing skin looks like out of the box:
cimg3591.jpg

The builder does the rest:
cimg3590.jpg

Other than shear to size, not much work is done.

Last edited:
The RV-6 can also be plans-built. Other than the long bent parts (spars ect.) and the the formed ribs, you don't get much more than a stack of sheet metal in the RV-6 kits (at least the older kits).

Yes, I have heard of someone plans building an RV-6. The problem is in finding a set of older RV-6 plans. IIRC, you can still buy RV-4 and Rv-3 plans with the appropriate measurements listed on the plans. The 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12, don't have measurements listed, so plans building is all but impossible.

Yes, I have heard of someone plans building an RV-6. The problem is in finding a set of older RV-6 plans. IIRC, you can still buy RV-4 and Rv-3 plans with the appropriate measurements listed on the plans. The 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12, don't have measurements listed, so plans building is all but impossible.

Very true, but I'm sure there are plenty of orphan tail kits out there to get you an existing RV-6 builder number. Vans is still selling the 6 plans, but probably not to new builders. My plans are so old they are actually blue prints...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back