What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MS Flight Simulator a real gas!

CNEJR said:
Would someone post link to download this sim? I have Microsoft Flight Sim X, is it compatable with it?

That RV-7 (A) was designed for Microsoft Flight Sim FS2004 (FS9), the predecessor of the new X. It most likely could be ported over to "X", but might have a problem or two. I just don't get into the computer tech stuff enough, to do the move & fixes.

L.Adamson

I have to disagree on MSFS realism. I think that X-plane is WAY better than either FS 2004 or X. The FAA apparently agrees, since they have certified X plane as the software to power AATD's, and haven't allowed Fight Sim in any capacity. At my work we are getting a Beech G58 Baron sim with the G1000 cockpit and Xplane running on two Dual AMD units with GeForce graphics. It's really trick.

osxuser said:
I have to disagree on MSFS realism. I think that X-plane is WAY better than either FS 2004 or X. The FAA apparently agrees, since they have certified X plane as the software to power AATD's, and haven't allowed Fight Sim in any capacity. At my work we are getting a Beech G58 Baron sim with the G1000 cockpit and Xplane running on two Dual AMD units with GeForce graphics. It's really trick.

The FAA's certification has very little to do with X-Planes flight dynamics. Long time X-Plane users, will agree on this subject.

Try spins, or precision slips in X-Plane. Won't happen. Use the RealAir Marchetti SF260 designed for FS2002/FS2004/ FSX for that purpose. You can't beat it for a simulated plane that somewhat mimics an RV.

BTW, personalized versions of MSFS are used by the U.S. Navy for flight simulation.

edit: I have no problem with designs done with X-Plane because some items in the flight envelope might just work better, or of course, worse. Since I do enjoy some aerobatic flight, and using a lot of rudder for various maneuvers, that Marchetti is hard to beat for a desktop rendition of an airplane.

L.Adamson

Last edited:
I've had a couple older versions of XPlane, and back then it didn't do too well in the slips or spins, BUT I just got back from training on a new Precision Flight Controls sim, with X Plane 8, and I it Does slips and Stalls without a problem, I haven't tried spins yet, we'll see.

MSFS doesn't stall or spin worth a .... with the standard models, and slips? ... yeah right. Anything can be done with a custom model. I have a couple of Star Wars ships in my MSFS, that doesn't make it realistic.

osxuser said:
I've had a couple older versions of XPlane, and back then it didn't do too well in the slips or spins, BUT I just got back from training on a new Precision Flight Controls sim, with X Plane 8, and I it Does slips and Stalls without a problem, I haven't tried spins yet, we'll see.

MSFS doesn't stall or spin worth a .... with the standard models, and slips? ... yeah right. Anything can be done with a custom model. I have a couple of Star Wars ships in my MSFS, that doesn't make it realistic.

I guess we're better off, to leave the arguing about simulated models, to the sim forums such as Avsim, Flightsim com. , X-Plane org., etc., instead of here....

At those sim sites; who thinks what is best, and for what reasons, are debated just about every day! :D

Since Flight Factory-Simulations is out of business... anybody know where I can get a copy of the RV-7 for FSX?

Flight Factory Simulations RV7 - Bad Luck!

Well,

I purchased the RV7 model from Flight Factory Simulations just one day after they closed down. I went to install it the next day, and got nothing but blank instruments...nice...

Of course, I pretty quickly figured out I had to go back into their now-inexistent website and register!

So now I'm stuck with a beautiful RV7 model with no gages......I've even managed to land it a couple of times without stalling or floating almost to the end of the runway!

I've tried modifying the panel with the 'standard' MS Flight simulator gages, but the whole panel seems to be some propietary format that can't be edited with the MS plane editor..

Does anyone know if there is a way to 'unlock' these gages now?

Luis O.
RV7A - Wings

txnbuilder said:
Well,

Does anyone know if there is a way to 'unlock' these gages now?

Luis O.
RV7A - Wings

It seems that a registration key number came with the download in an e-mail. Using the alt key for menu's, a Flight Factory menu appears with the others at the top left of the screen. Click on that, and enter the code. However, it's been a few years since I used this product...................and you might know all this anyway! :)

L.Adamson said:
It seems that a registration key number came with the download in an e-mail. Using the alt key for menu's, a Flight Factory menu appears with the others at the top left of the screen. Click on that, and enter the code. However, it's been a few years since I used this product...................and you might know all this anyway! :)

I did get the confirmation email, which is why I assumed I was done. Buried in the email is the following:

Registration Code: Located in your account download area

Of course, by the time I saw this, it was too late..

Luis O.

Hi, i`m try purchase the RV-9 for Flight simulator, but the "factory" web it?s closed.

I need the model for training and don?t find it in any location.

I need urgent the virtual plane.

Thanks for all posible helps.

osval_air (a) hotmail (dat) com

Hi, i`m try purchase the RV-9 for Flight simulator, but the "factory" web it?s closed.

I need the model for training and don?t find it in any location.

I need urgent the virtual plane.

Thanks for all posible helps.

osval_air (a) hotmail (dat) com

I'd get this one for FS9 or FSX. It's simulated flight model is the best in the industry. With it's sliding canopy and low wings, it's much like an RV. It's instrumentation is extremely smooth, and works very well for IFR practice too.

Marchetti SF260 by RealAir Simulations

http://www.realairsimulations.com/flash.php?page=sf26007_intro

L.Adamson

Is for FS9, i suposse is for FS9 the VANS RV-7 i need (Sorry is my mistake, VANS RV-9 not exist in "Factory" models i suposse).

If is not posible complete aircraft i need the model, if is not posible, buh, well, continue searching.

aim is to further refine the paintjob...
comments are welcome!
http://www.flyvans.com/subproj/final/finaldraft.html

regards,
bernie

Bernie,

What program do you use for the repaints?
I'm just starting to mess around with this and don't know "anything" about the "right way" to do things.

Found and downloaded a free RV8 and added to MSFX. It worked but had no gauges at all. Stumbled around and found a way to add working...but clunky...gauges and repainted with MS Paint.
The whole thing is rough as heck, but it's a hoot seeing an RV8, with my paint scheme, flying around!
Don't have time to research and refine, though.

the relatively good quality of my repaints comes from using the original "layered" photoshop files, that flightfactory published as their "paintkit".
that allows for redesigns without losing stuff like rivet lines, gas caps etc as they are on separate layers...
from there you can export a merge of all layers into a bmp, which is again converted with a special tool, named "dxt2bmp" if i remember correctly into a dxt3 format.

bernie

FSX

any new info on a RV model for FSX?

i see now that DX10 is available in a newer version of FSX? i certainly don't have a graphics driver that supports that.

subscribed.

Check out Baytower; he is getting pretty near the end of getting this into production. Also, one of the scenery packages has an RV, but it's not as good, even, as FlightFactory's was.

New verses old

Does anybody know the differences between 2004 and 'X'? I am shopping for the software. I have a joystick already but I don't know if it works yet. Got it for a buck. Anyway, secondly I would want to get the RV 7 sim as well.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers

X is totally different than 2004. They've added a whole "mission based" play aspect which is really cool... has apsects of flight instructino too. Gives you challenges (throws emergencies at you etc) and really makes the simulator come alive. It also has many new and very cool aircraft.
Graphics in FSX are based on DX10, FS2004 i believe is based on DX9. This is only going to be a factor if you have a current machine, with Vista installed. If so, some of the graphics effects will be noticeably better in FSX.
I have FSX on a DX9 (windows XP) platform and i LOVE it.
They also have a very cool expansionpack called "Acceleration" (available at Futureshop) that lets you fly a bunch of different aircraft, including a hornet offa carrier.

Does anybody know the differences between 2004 and 'X'? I am shopping for the software. I have a joystick already but I don't know if it works yet. Got it for a buck. Anyway, secondly I would want to get the RV 7 sim as well.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers

if you have an older PC 2004 with an scenery pack is really pretty good. FSX definitely is slower on the FR numbers but i've been happy with mine so far with Vista. i just turn down a lot of the other graphics and fly on a sunny day.!!! actually the real weather updated every 15min. is pretty cool. Acceleration pack doesn't work on my machine, lots of people have problems with it. there are some cool things in it though if you can get it to work properly.
i put the Ultimate Terrain X Canada on and it's really acurate without causing performance issues....
http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_usa.html

I just stirred off my couch ;) to check through my software library. The scenery publisher with the RV is Abacus. I actually didn't want the scenery (IIRC, they do mostly UK and Europe) but they came out with Aircraft Collector's Edition, which includes several aircraft models. http://www.abacuspub.com/default_fs.html Includes a 'RV-6' (looks like an 'A' model in the picture, but I think I recall they have both versions).

Appreciate your input.

Cheers

I had an 'older' pc (3.4 GHz Pentium IV) and moderate video card and FSX was a slideshow. FS 2004 worked great on it. My new computer was built specifically for FSX, with high memory video card ( 512 MB or greater) and lots of fast system memory (4GB). I'm also running Vista 64. The new digs work great for FSX.

I can't wait for Baytower to come out with the RV model. The photos on his website show that it sure is pretty!

Does X retain any of the Machado based flight instruction that the earlier FS professional edition did? Does the new X have the IFR 'instruction/missions' in it also?

When I pick up the newer versions of FS or X-planes, one thing that they don't advertise which keeps my from buying them is if they have the Machado or something similar for
VFR and IFR. I have two teenagers finally showing some interest in being pilots and the instruction part is way more important to me than which one renders a tree or cloud nicer than the next.

2004 or newest?

I am noticing that many users have the 2004 edition even though the latest version is out. I believe it is FSX? Any way, is there a reason for this. Is the 2004 version preferred by the pros? Just wondering.

Evans.

runs better on average PC's

I am noticing that many users have the 2004 edition even though the latest version is out. I believe it is FSX? Any way, is there a reason for this. Is the 2004 version preferred by the pros? Just wondering.

Evans.

I have both... 2004 seems to run better on on mid level PC's
FSX, has better scenery (out of the box), but to take advantage you need a higher end card & processor. Two cards to take advantage od SLI would be ideal. Two high end cards are nearly the cost of the 7 empennage kit.

Does X retain any of the Machado based flight instruction that the earlier FS professional edition did? Does the new X have the IFR 'instruction/missions' in it also?

When I pick up the newer versions of FS or X-planes, one thing that they don't advertise which keeps my from buying them is if they have the Machado or something similar for
VFR and IFR. I have two teenagers finally showing some interest in being pilots and the instruction part is way more important to me than which one renders a tree or cloud nicer than the next.

I'm still on training wheels, and I have both. I liked fs2004 training tool better, but the eye candy is nice in fsx.

I have the payware rv7/7a for fs2004 and a few other aircraft (jetpack, lunar lander sim), and use fs2004 for those.
I also use grtbridge and my GrandRapids HS display on both. :) I figured the learning curve is easier when you can pause life....

Last edited:
I really like FSX. However, there's no good RV for it. I've just got done flying a cross-country with the Abacus RV model and it didn't really feel right. Sluggish in roll, too prone to pitch up, and not much better looking than an early FS2004 model. However, the Flight Factory is beautiful and handles well, but only runs on FS2004. I installed FSX on my old flight sim PC and attempted to get the FF RV working on it, but no luck. The FF application that allowed the model to use their guages (as well as the excellent maintenance sim) does not work with FSX and there is no workaround. Worse, that PC has since gone belly-up and now I have no FF RV to fly. I've installed FS2004 and the FF RV on my latest machine but, while I have a physical install disk from Flight Factory, there is no registration/unlock information in the package. I seem to recall it was online but that is now unavailable because they are defunct.:( So, the bottom line is that I put up with the Abacus RV under FSX while waiting for the Baytower model to be finished and released.

BTW, flight sim is a horsepower game. I was never pleased with versions prior to FS2004; they were all jerky and difficult to control effectively; frame rates were so bad that smooth landings were all but impossible. I could get FS2004 to run smoothly on even medium-powerful machines. If you want a reasonable sim for just practicing operations, FS2004 works well and one of the Mooney models make a fair substitute for the RV (just resist the urge to retract the gear;)). I have run FSX on a low powered machine (by today's standards) and gotten it to work Ok but with most of the eye candy turned off. On the other hand, my high-end laptop (equivalent to a year-old high-end desktop) easily runs FSX with high graphics settings and dual monitors. My point is that both FSX and FS2004 scale well but due to the possibility of a good RV model being available for FSX soon and none really being available for FS2004 anymore I'd recommend going with FSX if at all possible.

I really like FSX. However, there's no good RV for it. I've just got done flying a cross-country with the Abacus RV model and it didn't really feel right. Sluggish in roll, too prone to pitch up, and not much better looking than an early FS2004 model. However, the Flight Factory is beautiful and handles well, but only runs on FS2004. I installed FSX on my old flight sim PC and attempted to get the FF RV working on it, but no luck. The FF application that allowed the model to use their guages (as well as the excellent maintenance sim) does not work with FSX and there is no workaround. Worse, that PC has since gone belly-up and now I have no FF RV to fly. I've installed FS2004 and the FF RV on my latest machine but, while I have a physical install disk from Flight Factory, there is no registration/unlock information in the package. I seem to recall it was online but that is now unavailable because they are defunct.:( So, the bottom line is that I put up with the Abacus RV under FSX while waiting for the Baytower model to be finished and released.

BTW, flight sim is a horsepower game. I was never pleased with versions prior to FS2004; they were all jerky and difficult to control effectively; frame rates were so bad that smooth landings were all but impossible. I could get FS2004 to run smoothly on even medium-powerful machines. If you want a reasonable sim for just practicing operations, FS2004 works well and one of the Mooney models make a fair substitute for the RV (just resist the urge to retract the gear;)). I have run FSX on a low powered machine (by today's standards) and gotten it to work Ok but with most of the eye candy turned off. On the other hand, my high-end laptop (equivalent to a year-old high-end desktop) easily runs FSX with high graphics settings and dual monitors. My point is that both FSX and FS2004 scale well but due to the possibility of a good RV model being available for FSX soon and none really being available for FS2004 anymore I'd recommend going with FSX if at all possible.

I've used the RealAir Marchetti SF260 for years in both FS2004 and FSX. It's always been one of the best flight models ever produced, and has won many awards. It's a sliding canopy as with our RV's, and can be "sim flown" from either side in FSX, and the right side in FS2004.

I prefer FSX, but my CPU isn't operating FSX at it's best these days. My wife will be conducting some desktop flight instruction using FS2004, and right hand joystick, rudder pedals, with left hand throttle using the SF260. It's really a very realistic simulation, considering the limitations of "living room flying".. :)

http://www.realairsimulations.com/flash.php?page=sf26007_intro

L.Adamson

Last edited:
So is there any way to get the rv-7 model to work now that the company is long gone? It does have the functioning Dynon display right?

Back