What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving RV-14 Taildragger by Trailer

Meat

Patron
Hi All,

I need to move my partially completed RV-14 taildragger from Arizona to Texas in the next 2-3 months. I’m trying to figure out the best/safest way to do that. I’ve been reading various threads about it. I wanted to get advice from anyone that's done it.

My RV-14 fuselage is on its gear, the engine is mounted, prop is off, canopy and cowling are completed. Avionics are not installed. All tail surfaces are done. VS and HS stab are currently mounted on fuse. Control surfaces are off. Wings are mostly complete and on a cradle.

I’ve read that for a taildragger trailered in the 3-point attitude its vital the VS be mounted to the fuselage as loads are transmitted through it. If the VS is not mounted to the fuselage, you run the risk if bending the aft fuselage as it bounces down the road on its landing gear.

1. If true, does the actual VS have to mounted to the fuselage? Or will just having the bolts in place that normally go through the VS aft spar into the aft fuselage F-01412 bulkhead and U-00018 tailwheel mount suffice? The HS stabilizer is too wide to be mounted to the fuselage for trailering. So, if it's not present there is no place for the front of the VS to mount to.

2. If the VS must be mounted to the fuselage and having only the bolts through the aft bulkhead to safely trailer it in the 3-point attitude won’t suffice, can it be safely trailered in the 2-point attitude with the VS removed and a cradle supporting the aft fuselage?

3. Is there any limitation to trailering it forwards or backwards? I can’t think of any.

4. Are there any points on the airframe that I shouldn’t use to tie down on? I plan to have the cowling off so I can use the motor mount tubes, securing it there, at the main tires/landing gear legs and aft tailwheel stinger. The canopy will be on and latched close. I don’t plan on using any straps or tiedowns that go over the top of the fuselage. That just doesn’t seem like a good idea.

5. I’ve heard that Stewart Transport, who ships QB kits, also ships partially completed planes. They seemed to have a good act when they delivered mine. Does anyone have any knowledge about them shipping planes like mine, good or bad? Any photos on how they get a completed fuselage into the truck?

6. Anyone aware of any other companies that move aircraft?

7. Any advice on the kind of trailer you used? Some of the car trailers I've seen are a bit narrow to fit my gear. My main gear track at the outside edge of the tires is 92" wide. The total track width including axle extensions is 96" or 8 ft. Wheelbase from main gear tire to tailwheel is 187" or 15' 7". I was thinking some kind of wider deckover type trailer where the deck extends over the top of the trailer wheels might be more appropriate. I live in the Phoenix area so renting one of these is a possibility.

8. I'm more concerned about the fuselage vs the wings since its bigger and heavier. I'll probably make a second trip to TX with the wings on a car trailer secured in their cradle.

8. If anyone reading this in the Phoenix area has an appropriate trailer for my fuse and would be willing to rent it to me for the move let me know. I'd tow it with a RAM pickup.

I’m not the first person to move a plane in the middle of a build. I need to move mine about 850 miles just want to do so in the safest/least risk manner.

Thanks to all for any advice you can give me. Particularly as it pertains to the VS being mounted or not. Any photos of moving your taildragger, or any type RV, are appreciated too,

Cheers,

Scott Davis
602 290-5363

I don't have any RV hauling specific advice but did have a couple thoughts.
1. If the VS is needed could a temporary "Truss" be fabricated out of steel as a stand-in? Might be able to incorporate tiedown attach points?
2. I think facing forward would be almost mandatory to maintain proper trailer tongue weight.
3. I feel for you towing across New Mexico. A few trips on those roads, towing and empty, have seriously beat my truck up. (Worst roads in the western US)

Oh and one other thought. If your thinking enclosed trailer snowmobile trailers are deck over style with a ton of inside width. I know, snowmobiles aren't common in Phoenix haha. But I'd suspect some of the sand car guys might have them. You might look at buying a trailer, make your moves, then re-sale. I've done that a couple times, and it worked out cheaper than renting.

This is how I tied down my 14 for a short 15 mile drive on reasonable decent roads. You can see my attachment and tie down points. The fuselage did not move at all driving at highway speeds.
Knowing how the 14 tail is constructed I don't know why the need for the VS to be installed. Perhaps I missing something. I would reach out to Van's.
I did have an 8" pneumatic tail wheel to absorb some of the load.

Attachments

• IMG_4392.jpg
    IMG_4392.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 146
Tail wheel stinger and mount

Scott

If the -14 is similar to the -7 the tailwheel mount needs to be bolted at the rear bulkhead. Otherwise the stinger will bounce on the rear bulkhead and damage it.

The other thing I have done is to only secure the wheels. Otherwise the fuse can bounce on the suspension and pull violently against the straps. If the wheels and bottom of the gear legs are secured the fuselage will be free to rock and bounce but won’t go anywhere.

Regards Peter

This is how I tied down my 14 for a short 15 mile drive on reasonable decent roads. You can see my attachment and tie down points. The fuselage did not move at all driving at highway speeds.
Knowing how the 14 tail is constructed I don't know why the need for the VS to be installed. Perhaps I missing something. I would reach out to Van's.
I did have an 8" pneumatic tail wheel to absorb some of the load.

Wouldn't it be a bit easier on everything if the fuselage was pointed the other way around, letting tail to 'hide' from air stream in the shadow of truck's cabin? I can imagine with that angle of attack it really wanted to fly off. Did you block elevator in any way?

Wouldn't it be a bit easier on everything if the fuselage was pointed the other way around, letting tail to 'hide' from air stream in the shadow of truck's cabin? I can imagine with that angle of attack it really wanted to fly off. Did you block elevator in any way?

The elevator and Rudder were locked. I wanted it facing forward for a couple of reasons. I believed that would be more secure with the slip stream naturally flowing over the airplane. Secondly, a lot easier to pull up going forward on the tilt bed. As it was being winched forward I controlled the direction by turning the tail wheel with a towbar. Anyway, worked out well for me.

Hauled multiple taildraggers all over the USA on this trailer. Note A-frame at tailgate. Remove the tailwheel fork and bolt through the pivot, or through a flat spring. Does nosewheel too.

Attachments

• P7220004.JPG
    P7220004.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20140906_184912_517.jpg
    IMG_20140906_184912_517.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Hauling.jpg
    Hauling.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Back