What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Movie night suggestions

cgeyman

Well Known Member
Hello braintrust and aviation buffs. My EAA chapter wants to start a movie night once a month to support a local scholarship. We have a hanger to show movies in, and I am trying to get a list of potential movies for general family viewing that will attract the younger crowd (our chapter average age is about 70). My list so far is: Top Gun one and two, Apollo 13, Ernie Gann's movies (Fate is the Hunter, The High and the Mighty, ?Island in the Sky), The Great Waldo Pepper, The Great Santini, Princess Nautica, Meru (climbing adventure), The Aeronauts, possibly Star Wars or Star Trek movies.... etc.

I am stuck on any entertaining Wright brothers movies, Dolittle movies, or Lindberg movies. Or aviation oriented WW2 movies, other than Tora Tora. What comes to mind of your favorite aviation movies?

Thanks. Cal Geyman, Missoiula Chapter 517

You’ve already mentioned several that I really like. Here’s a few more that I would watch again.

Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines
Space Cowboys
2001 Space Odyssey
Farmer Astronaut

Last edited:
Best movie night I recall was a double feature. The original Top Gun, immediately followed by the parody version Hot Shots.

If you have internet in the hangar I would spend a couple hours just streaming some the the RV videos on YouTube. There are plenty of good flying videos to choose.

As far as movies you haven’t mentioned yet, the best flying movie has Slim Pickings straddling a nuke in “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”. That is good entertainment. Also jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command.

Last edited:
The Spirit of St Louis. A classic how an airmail pilot pursued his dream to fly across the Atlantic.

Back