What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Most Miserable part about building??

Only one builder mentioned 'tanks' !?!?!?

I built a quick-build, in large part to avoid having to build the tanks.

Just my luck, the quick-build tanks will probably leak!:rolleyes:

I've done fiberglass work all my life, and I don't get what all the complaints are about there - You can make a mess, but its almost always fixable with some filler and elbow grease. you make a mistake on a metal part, and you have to start over. I'll trade sanding for all the cuts and scrapes on my forearms from riveting the wing skins on any day.

But I'm actually surprised that only one builder mentioned tanks. I thought they would be just the most messy awful thing. Maybe on my next one, I'll give them a try.

Just my opinion.

MANY of the complaints about tanks are from people who have not done them. They are messy, yes. But they are not that big of a deal. The first time I ever worked with proseal, I built 4 RV-6 tanks in 2 days while a previous RV builder looked over my shoulder. These 4 tanks are now 16 years old and no leaks.
It's just like the rest of the project. It has to be done. Just Do it!

The most difficult part of building an RV is fitting the canopy frame. Whether it's tip-up, tip-over, or slider, they all take time and patience.

I agree with Mel. I was really fretting building my tanks. But now that I'm half way done with the first tank, it isn't that bad. While you probably could do them yourself, I think a helper makes the process go quicker.

I probably spent as more time on the first rib, than I did the next two. Once you figure out your process, it really isn't that bad. My anxiety went away pretty quckly once I started the process.

I should also buy some Harbor Freight stock based upon how many of their gloves I go through to keep my hands clean.

Back