What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mexico Memorial, MO

A5555

Well Known Member
On the way from Cincy I stopped in Mexico Memorial, MO to take a look at Zenith Aircraft Co. One thing I noticed is that everything seems clean, the airport, the FBO, Zenith factory. Very clean. Zenith was giving someone a flight demo and a couple of guys had flown in a Cessna 337 to look. Mogas $3.59. Then I flew to Olathe KS and a Garmin friend picked me up for lunch at Johnson County Executive, west side FBO. Another nice place. And then I flew on to Wichita to visit my parents. Question: why does my engine seem smoother on cheap Mogas?

IMG_20150410_104253.jpg

IMG_20150410_105250.jpg

IMG_20150410_104357.jpg

IMG_20150410_104510.jpg

IMG_20150410_104710.jpg

IMG_20150410_104718.jpg

IMG_20150410_104833.jpg

Last edited:
When I head West from Indy, Mexico Memorial is always my first fuel stop. I've been there four times in the past year. Good place.

On Saturday I picked up my friend Frank Baldwin at the Troy Airpark and flew to Mexico in the RV-8. We arrived about 1:15. Frank (DAR) did the certification of the yellow Zenith, I believe it is a 750, for a mutual friend from Spirit Airport. It will be hangared about 50 feet from where I have a leased hangar.

Had a great conversation about airplanes, flying and military life with a local guy while the formalities were being performed. Mexico is a clean, friendly airport. They're been selling mogas for years, I stopped for it when I was messing with the Subby H6 engine. So far I am sticking with Avgas with the Lycoming.

Saturday was a pick day to fly...really enjoyed it. Yesterday was strong south wind and rain today. The 8 is a different beast with someone in the back, trim for landing is some 6 indicator lights toward nose down as opposed to when solo. With a constant speed prop it is probably is just about right cg wise, with the Catto it is near the aft limit.

Back