What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Medical issues, 7/7a quick build demand

cstock2992

I'm New Here
I haven’t been in the RV loop for quite some time.
I purchased a 7a “quickbuild” project that was mostly completed by someone else. Not liking the wiring and wanting a tailwheel weldment, I disassembled it for a fresh start. Weldment installed but reassembly stopped upon me developing an aortic aneurysm - flying days are over.
I’m looking for opinions on whether it is even remotely worth trying to sell, and if there is much of a market now days for second hand kits.
I obviously need to get a full list of items and photos, but though I’d let it sit rather than give it away. It’s not perfect but It would be a better than fair price and fantastic start to a project with several random additional parts.
At one time it was actually beginning taxi testing. I purchased without an engine - long story.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks, Cory Stock

Check the classifieds

I think it's safe to say there's a market for secondhand kits. I suggest taking a look at the Classified listings to get an idea of demand and how you might price your kit. You can just scan the VAF Classifieds part of this forum or use the Advanced Search feature - try putting Kit as the keyword and "VAF Classifieds" in the "Search in Forums" list.
EDIT: Beware of scammers however - definitely read this before responding to any interested parties.

Last edited:
The biggest disadvantage I see in most second hand kits is they are not complete, missing the most expensive, parts intensive, and hardest to source finishing kit.
Yours sounds like a complete project, not just a kit?
If so, you should have no issues selling at a fair price to someone who has the skills to evaluate the work and rework.

Thanks for the responses so far….hard to believe how out of touch I’ve become.
Yes the “kit” is more of a structural re-assembly than a build. The most involved parts will be re-wiring, re-powering, upgrading panel, and paint.
I’ll be posting detailed inventory and link to photos soon. I just had no idea how I was going to proceed, but I’m getting pointed in the right direction.

I haven’t been in the RV loop for quite some time.
I purchased a 7a “quickbuild” project that was mostly completed by someone else. Not liking the wiring and wanting a tailwheel weldment, I disassembled it for a fresh start. Weldment installed but reassembly stopped upon me developing an aortic aneurysm - flying days are over.

Not sure what you're implying here.
Tailwheel Weldment? There is no tailwheel weldment.
The A model has 2 gear weldments, but the tailwheel model has the gear in the engine mount.

I was changing it from a “7a” to a “7”. Tailwheel weldment installation is complete, but engine mount hasn’t been changed yet - so it’s technically still an “a” with a little more weight in the tail.

I was changing it from a “7a” to a “7”. Tailwheel weldment installation is complete, but engine mount hasn’t been changed yet - so it’s technically still an “a” with a little more weight in the tail.
Ok, so you removed the 2 gear weldments located in the cabin & added the tail hook mount?

They are still In place at the moment as it’s still sitting on it’s tri-gear for now. The brake plumbing has been removed and they’re ready to come out unless the decision gets made to leave it an “a” model by someone. I realize the weldment isn’t ideal if someone wants to leave it an “a”, but that will be considered when determining the price.

They are still In place at the moment as it’s still sitting on it’s tri-gear for now. The brake plumbing has been removed and they’re ready to come out unless the decision gets made to leave it an “a” model by someone. I realize the weldment isn’t ideal if someone wants to leave it an “a”, but that will be considered when determining the price.

Yes, I changed from an A to a tailwheel after 500 hours & it was a pain to remove the gear weldments with the brake/fuel lines & wiring routed through them.
Best of luck with your sale. With the state of everything at Vans, you should have no problems selling it.

A second hand project like this is the only way I might be able to afford building a plane. Trading cost for some work and fabrication. Unfortunately it will be several months before I can start shopping. Otherwise Id be very interested.

This isn't what you asked, but an aortic aneurysm doesn't necessarily end your flying. It doesn't even require a single SI for BasicMed.

Thank you, valid point. I suppose you’re right, but with the size and where it is, I can’t fly until it’s fixed. My Cleveland Clinic cardiologist says I’m not a candidate for the less complicated endovascular procedure. Even if everything is a speedy walk in the park, the financial responsibility is going to be an impact for a long time.
Perhaps it won’t sell and I suffer the burden of eventually having a finished airplane - not so bad ;)

Back