What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

May i please have your expert advivce...on a rivet

goanddo

Here is a picture of a rivet in the elevator. My concern is the driven head is not centered over the hole. The rivet is the correct length. I can and promise to try to do better work. My question is should this rivet be replaced or is this the kind of rivet that I should accept and build on? Thank you for your thoughts.

Learn from this and do better next time.

Trying to replace a rivet like that for most people ends up causing more damage than good.....

Learn from this and do better next time.

Trying to replace a rivet like that for most people ends up causing more damage than good.....

+1, but removing rivets without damage should be developed as part of your building skill set. You will know it is there when you mis-set a rivet, grab the drill remove before you even think about it. The stress will be gone. :)

Set a dozen in scrap parts then remove them all. I use a headband magnifier to see well enough to do it.:eek:

Drill it out and replace. The one on the left end looks like it needs to be hit some more too. You can get a rivet gauge that is a go-no go type of thing to check the shop head.

Research

You may want to read the AC on rivets. There are times when drilling the rivet out is warranted but other times it is better to leave it. The data presented showed that in minor mis sets, the overall strength of the mis set rivet was as good, and sometimes better, than drilling it out and trying to redo it.

That being said, as previously posted, you will need to learn to accurately drill them out as there WILL be some that require it...

It's a judgment call that you will learn to make. Take into account the part in question. Is it structural? How many rivets out of x number of rivets are less than perfect?

If the part is not structural, I would leave the slightly "toe-nailed" rivet and, as recommended above, give the one on the left a few more taps.

If the rivet were more toe-nailed, such that you could see the edge of the hole, I would consider it unacceptable in almost any case.

Denver area builder group

Ron
There's an ingormal builder community in the Denver area. One builder is active here and building a 10. We communicate by e-mail. If you would like to be added to the e-mail group, send me an e-mail or PM.

Back