What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco wheels and vans retaining nut

Weefle

Well Known Member
Looking for a bit of advice drilling for the cotter pin to retain the wheel bearing nut. How much edge distance did you leave on the aluminum nut to still get a good bite on the steel axle?

I was thinking of machining the nut down so I could thread it on more but then that would throw off the distance to the wheel pant.

Thanks

Keith

Attachments

• 297543A8-5267-4809-A729-E8725A83B254.jpg
    297543A8-5267-4809-A729-E8725A83B254.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Matco

I had 4.5mm taken off mine, and that did the trick. Find someone with a decent lathe to do a proper job of it, you need be nice to the bearings and machine a smooth face perfectly perpendicular to the axis. Keep the drop saw, files etc. for some other job.

There was no issue with the outer distance, in the instructions you build the inside of the rear spat up with thickened flox to just surround the outer face of the nut, I didn't need an excessive amount to achieve this.

Trick: You have to bend the split pin to get it through the axle. I bend it at a point just a little wider than the width between faces of the wheel nut, just enough to do the job. Once it is through as far as the bend, you can "undo" the bend and push it through the rest of the way. Order some extra split pins, use a new one every time you remove/reinstall the wheel.

Thanks Adrian,

I’ll chuck them both in the lathe and knock off the 4.5mm, radius the edge a bit and should be good.
Appreciate the feedback!

Keith

Back