What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual to electric trim modification

dugav8s

I'm New Here
Probably asked and aswered several times but......
I am getting ready for the annual on my RV-7. It has manual trim and I would like to install electric trim with control grip functions (I need control grips as well). I am seeking advice on the best way to accomplish this (as in best bang for the buck). Also, I have GRT dual sport; this has a trim indicator feature. Anyone know how to input the trim setting?

Thank you,

The standard Vans approach is to use a Ray Allan trim motor, which comes with a 3 wire sensor. One wire to power, one to ground, and the slider connection goes to an analog input on your EFIS. You can then calibrate it to read trim position vs voltage.

Thank you Bob. I have been to the Ray Allen website. I am considering the T2-10A Trim System for the elevator and two G307 Stick Grips. I just have the basic aileron tension trim. Do you have any specifics on a simple way to set this up electrically?

I think you'll find there is a little more to this than meets the eye.
The trim tab horn would have been cut shorter for the manual trim. So to just put the servo motor onto the elevator may give the wrong amount of travel.
Also if you fit the trim unit to the elevator it will need to be rebalanced.
There used to be a kit that used a short trim cable and mounted the servo unit under the tail fairing. Although this isn't any longer available I think some people have used an RV-10 cable to do the same job.

Cheers

Peter

PS I have the manual trim and have flown other RV's with the electic and IMHO I wouldn't swap. Manual trim is less to go wrong, quick and easy to get the fine adjustment.

I am considering the T2-10A Trim System for the elevator and two G307 Stick Grips. I just have the basic aileron tension trim. Do you have any specifics on a simple way to set this up electrically?
The easiest way would be to buy both kits from Vans...

PS I have the manual trim and have flown other RV's with the electic and IMHO I wouldn't swap. Manual trim is less to go wrong, quick and easy to get the fine adjustment.
I REALLY like not having to take my hand off the throttle to adjust the trim...

Last edited:
I believe Tosten (old CH Grips) can be purchased with relays inside the grip eliminating some wiring effort on your part. I have these grips in my 7 and really like the tactile feel of the switches.

I have the manual trim installed in my 9A. I like the simple manual part about it and it is what I used to fly. This evening I was getting in and out of the cockpit working on the wiring. I kept kicking the trim. It is not easy getting in and out of these planes. What happened in that Zenith would never happen in an RV!

Now I am on the fence about manual or changing to electric. I am going to take the cable out and see if it is much easier or not.

Back