What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manifold Pressure Indication Fluctuations

jjconstant

Well Known Member
I'm trying to chase down an indication problem with my Manifold Pressure. Sometimes it is rock solid and other times it varies by as much as 1.5 inches in cruise. It has always done this, but I'm at the point where I'm going to be more "heads down" in the cockpit under the foggles and I would like to see if I can resolve it.

Previously I noticed that a very small amount of oil leaks into the line, coming out of the restrictor fitting on the #3 cylinder, but I don't know if that would cause the variation. Another thing I'm wondering about is the number of T fittings I have. I've got 1 line coming from the #3 cylinder. 2 PMags are joined by a T and there is a T dividing the line from the PMags and to the gauge.

The only other possibility that I can think of is the baffling that joins the airbox to the cowl. Sometimes after I land I see a bit of a pucker in the baffling. I always assumed that it did that on either start-up or shut-down but I wonder if a little bit of flexibility there might sometimes start to pulse or resonate in flight?

Any other ideas or likely culprits would be appreciated.

Check the line to where the pressure transducer is.

Is there any fuel lying in the line ?

Our pressure transducer is really too low and on the 8 I will be putting it higher up.

We have a similar set up by the sounds with dual P-Mags and things Tee'd off everywhere.

Just checked...no fluid or drip of any kind. Several folks at the airport said "call GRT, it might be the transducer". Email sent. I'm not looking forward to being upside down under the panel to get the transducer out if it needs it:(

Back