What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetic Compass?

I just took one out :) Previous owned had it installed on the glareshield.. and I prefer a cleaner look..

Step boldly into the 21st century and embrace the technology. :rolleyes: "Whiskey" compasses are by no means foolproof and come with their own set of well-documented issues.

But if you really just gotta have one, Aircraft Spruce and other suppliers still sell them. I just think you'll find most--but not all--of the homebuilt crowd that has built planes in the last decade or two have omitted the old style compass and opted for a magnetometer.

ACS sells that SIRS brand as well as several others but they are all pretty speedy. If I really felt like I just couldn't live without one, I'd probably call one of the aircraft salvage yards and buy one for pennies on the dollar.

The new cost is about a 3rd of the cost of a fully redundant G5 backup AHRS, so it doesn't seem like a great value at this point.

A couple weeks ago, I was renting a Cessna 162 skycatcher with an instructor, working towards a flight review and rental checkout. The AHRS was dropping in out...mostly out.... for the entire flight. It was probably up only about 10% of the time

Found out later that this is a known problem for that particular plane, has been for a while, and it's still not fixed! typical poorly maintained rental

I reckon, because of the requirement for a magnetic direction indication as part of the min required equipment for day VFR flight, that the airplane is not airworthy even for VFR.

Just a different thought here for you to consider, but I feel like I'd want a "dumb" backup, even knowing that I'll 99.9% of the time never look at it.... just a little something for the scenario that I'm at the next airport over for a hamburger, and the thing dies. I can't even fly home even though it's a perfectly clear VFR day.

A couple weeks ago, I was renting a Cessna 162 skycatcher with an instructor, working towards a flight review and rental checkout. The AHRS was dropping in out...mostly out.... for the entire flight. It was probably up only about 10% of the time

Found out later that this is a known problem for that particular plane, has been for a while, and it's still not fixed! typical poorly maintained rental

I reckon, because of the requirement for a magnetic direction indication as part of the min required equipment for day VFR flight, that the airplane is not airworthy even for VFR.

Just a different thought here for you to consider, but I feel like I'd want a "dumb" backup, even knowing that I'll 99.9% of the time never look at it.... just a little something for the scenario that I'm at the next airport over for a hamburger, and the thing dies. I can't even fly home even though it's a perfectly clear VFR day.

My reasoning, exactly.

"Dumb" redundancy was part of the plan for the builder of my airplane 12 years ago. Removing the magnetic compass from the glareshield improved visibility...now I find I need the panel space for other instrumentation worse than the legacy backup round gauges. Between EFIS/ADAHRS, G5, plus Apple Watch/iPhone/iPad/Foreflight, I think I have sufficient instrumentation backup.

I suppose I should just start over with a new panel rather than cobble up this one, but I'll like save that for the future. I plan on talking this over with SteinAir.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 4.22.05 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 4.22.05 PM.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 49
I’d suggest before choosing a compass location, you should power up all electrical components in your panel, especially gps units, to see what magnetic interference you might have to contend with. Might save some choice words later.

Back