What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming overhaul manuals and more

818 AV8R

Bought an engine, need to tear it down for SB533 (prop strike inspection)
Engine lost a blade shortly after takeoff, still falls under the SB.
IO-390-A1B6
Can’t find an overhaul manual for the 390 anywhere.
Can find the IO-360 or other series, but not the exact one I need.
Called to purchase, unable to buy just one manual, have to buy entire library for 4cyl series, subscription for 1 year.

Anyone have this? Willing to share?
Anyone interested on going in on it?

I believe Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul (60294-7-14) manual covers all variants. You need to research applicable SBs in addition to this manual, as Lycoming keeps the overhaul manual current this way. There may be SBs specific to the -390 also.

Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual

These are pretty simple engines...just went through an overhaul myself and it was great learning experience.

Last edited:
I agree with Tim that these are pretty simple engines….but if I had a nickel for every time an engine instructor or expert said “now this isn’t in the manual, but the trick is…..” I could but a Venti coffee at Starbucks! (That’s. Lot of nickels these days…..)

Call Lycoming to see if such a manual exists - their engineering department is easy to talk to!

Agree as well, pretty simple engines. Paul, your article is what inspired me to sign up for the Lycoming class in PA.
When I called Lycoming asking about the manual, they directed me to one of their resellers. When contacting the resellers, they told me the only option was a subscription for the entire library for 4cyl series, and a minimum one year. Quoted $900.00
Now I’ve talked to others including Barrett and I’ve been told there is only one manual for the direct drive series and one for the gear versions. Which makes sense. Being how the 390 is basically an IO-360, that is the manual I would need.
This sounds plausible to me.
Engine should be here Friday.
Videos to come shortly after.

Agree as well, pretty simple engines. Paul, your article is what inspired me to sign up for the Lycoming class in PA.
When I called Lycoming asking about the manual, they directed me to one of their resellers. When contacting the resellers, they told me the only option was a subscription for the entire library for 4cyl series, and a minimum one year. Quoted $900.00
Now I’ve talked to others including Barrett and I’ve been told there is only one manual for the direct drive series and one for the gear versions. Which makes sense. Being how the 390 is basically an IO-360, that is the manual I would need.
This sounds plausible to me.
Engine should be here Friday.
Videos to come shortly after.
A little late, but there is a Lycoming Service Letter that list the applicable pubs for each engine:

Back