What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low speed low power cooling

Wesael

Well Known Member
Do any of you have experience flying your -10 at 2500ft or less, 11GPH or less,for more than 45min, with a OAT of 70deg F or higher...?:eek:

How hot did the CHT and Oil Temp go?

Please read these conditions throughly before posting your comments;)

Thanks

Well at 2500 feet its usually around 70deg F or higher around here and if I am stooging around doing a scenic at that sort of fuel flow I am still indicating something like 135 knots I think, and I have never seen a problem with temps and in fact nothing abnormal that I recall.

I can't give you specific data but I can only think back and say barely warmer.

Why do you ask?

how to do it

Fellas:

Had a few cooling issues in various Rockets before I figured out the low-speed formula: square up the engine. This means match the MP to the RPM as in 2000rpm/20"mp. The lower pitch seems to help cooling; I use this power setting when I fly with any RVs.

Carry on!
Mark

Why do you ask?[/QUOTE]

I was flying a RV-10 that slightly overheated at these conditions.:(

And what do you call "slightly overheated" ?

Can you add some more information so we can give you a valid and well reasoned opinion?

1. What is the CHT normally in the cruise?
2. What were the CHT's at the time of this slight overheat?
3. What was the Manifold Pressure during the flight.
4. What was the RPM used?
5. What was the Indicated Airspeed? ...and is the plane fully finished i.e. all spats fairings etc fitted?

Cheers

DB:cool:

And what do you call "slightly overheated" ?

Can you add some more information so we can give you a valid and well reasoned opinion?

1. What is the CHT normally in the cruise? 370
2. What were the CHT's at the time of this slight overheat? 425-450
3. What was the Manifold Pressure during the flight. 20in
4. What was the RPM used?2100
5. What was the Indicated Airspeed? 127kn...and is the plane fully finished i.e. all spats fairings etc fitted?yes

Cheers

DB:cool:

I am not looking for troubleshooting of this airplane. It is not my airplane and the owner is fine with it just the way it is. If flown at higher power settings it cools just fine.

I only wanted to know what others are seeing at this exact power setting for comparison.

Thanks

Well ........maybe your friend might be interested to know.

But what is slightly overheated?

My CHT's usually run between 300-310 deg F, so for me 365 would be slightly overheated, but nothing to be concerned with if I was stooging around slow.

So what does slightly overheated mean to you and this particular aeroplane?

Well ........maybe your friend might be interested to know.

But what is slightly overheated?

My CHT's usually run between 300-310 deg F, so for me 365 would be slightly overheated, but nothing to be concerned with if I was stooging around slow.

So what does slightly overheated mean to you and this particular aeroplane?

Anything over 400 deg F = slightly overheated

Anything over 450 deg F = overheated

IMHO

Today I had a play around although not long enough to see what you are suggesting, and at the sorts of flow rate altitude etc I say my CHT rise from around 310 to mid 320's. IAS was around 140 knots.

I was LOP so not a high energy state.

I would have liked a longer time to test this but it does seem that you get a temp rise. Whether I could get them up to 400 is another matter.

Any time your CHT gets above 380 and not just a momentary peak, its time to do something different.:eek:

Back