What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking to See an 8 or 7 on The Eastern Shore

Im the Chief Pilot for the Dorchester County Sheriffs Office on Maryland's Eastern Shore. We fly a STOL light sport aircraft and after spending hours on end circling the county I have decided that my personal flying should be mostly cross country from now on. Im a big college football fan (Va Tech Alumni) and I'm looking for a plane that me and a buddy can fly to games on the east coast. I spent 4 years as an airframer on F-14's in the Navy and 9 years as a machinist (to put my self through flight school & college) before becoming a cop. I think I have the skills to build an RV, Im just on the fence on the 7 or 8. I have wanted to build an RV since 1990 or so and I am finally getting to a point in my life where I think I can afford to take up this challange. I would like to find one of each to just sit in and see which one would suit my needs better. I fly out of KCGE (Cambridge, MD) for work and spent alot of my early flying time at KESN (Easton, MD) about 15 years ago. I know there are some RV's around Im just looking for someone who has a 7 or 8 in the area that I could look at one day when its no hassel for you.

Thanks In Advance
Howard

Welcome to the VAF!

Someone will come along shortly and invite you up for a ride. If not, come on down to SnF and visit us in HBC. You just have to bring the beer!

Howard, I've got an RV-8 and am just a hop south near KMFV. I'd be happy to pop up to Cambridge (excuse for a breakfast run) :)

I'll PM info.

Welcome

You've come to the right place, Howard....and welcome aboard.

Bill's suggestion to go to Sun 'n Fun is spot on. There are dozens of RV's there every year.

Best,

I would also consider that if your primary mission is cross country the 7 in general works better. Most passengers are more comfortable sitting along side you rather then behind. When I started looking for a RV to purchase I was sure I wanted a 8. I ended up buying a 6 on the reputation of the builder. I still long for a 8 because my primary mission is just having fun, light acro, more formation I hope and mostly DDA missions. (Thats military for Day Dick Around).
I have to admit however that on cross country flights the side by side is very nice and my wife loves it.

George

Good advice

If you have a significant other, she definitely needs to be consulted.

Old Southern saying..."If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

A good friend of mine had a beautiful Rocket but sold it shortly after he bought it. When asked why, he said that nobody, including his wife, would fly with him. Now she goes everywhere with him in the -10.

Best,

Howard, I've got an RV-8 and am just a hop south near KMFV. I'd be happy to pop up to Cambridge (excuse for a breakfast run) :)

I'll PM info.

That sounds good let me know when your avilable, weekends during the week etc. I work a brutal rotating schedule due to the fact that I split my time flying and working patrol on the road. It seems im always off when everybody else is working and vice versa :confused: But then again that should be good for building, not alot of distractions because everybody is at work or school in the house when Im off and ready to build.

Looking

I've said it before and I'll say it again-----Build what YOU want to see when YOU open the hangar door.

You'll spend a lot of money, so why say "I wish i'd have built an 8" when you see a 7 as you open the hangar door.

At the risk of sounding selfish, others can and will live with what YOU choose.

Van's has an East Coast rep, named Mitch Lock. He is located just outside the Navy's Pax River airspace. He can be contacted through info on Van's web site. Mitch has several aircraft for flight demo use, and can set you up with look-see on models he does not have.

Back