What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Van's Experienced A&P and/or Repair Shop (Reno, NV)

Stubby Joe

I'm New Here
This is a serious, yet polite call-out for an experienced Van's A&P and/or Repair Shop in order to conduct an insurance labor & repair estimate for my damaged RV-8. The aircraft is currently hangared in the greater Reno, NV, area and is currently un-flyable. An incident occurred on 29JAN2024 in which during landing rollout the aircraft departed the runway and sustained damage to the left main, left flap, and tailwheel. An expert set of experienced eyes (specific RV-8 repair and construction experience desired) to determine the full extent of the damage, and the ability to complete a formal repair estimate (specific part numbers, labor, etc.) is necessary. Please reply to this thread at your earliest convenience if you or anyone you know (referrals absolutely appreciated) can be of assistance. Thank you in advance for your professional assistance. Regards, Jason VP

Have you considered purchasing a built fuselage and repair your plane with that? The extensive work to replace sections of critical areas are labor intensive. So much so there’s probably an abandoned fuse kit out there just jumping for a chance to fly.
Just a thought.

Have you considered purchasing a built fuselage and repair your plane with that? The extensive work to replace sections of critical areas are labor intensive. So much so there’s probably an abandoned fuse kit out there just jumping for a chance to fly.
Just a thought.
I appreciate the insight and I will consider that option. IMHO, my first step is to get an experienced RV builder/repair A&P or repair shop to inspect the aircraft to determine the extent of the damage in its current state. Thanks, Jason

Hi Paul. The RV-8 is currently being hangared (temporarily) at Plumas County Nervino Airport (O02), Beckwourth, CA. Approximately 50nm NNW Reno, NV.

All the best,
Jason
Argh…too bad I didn’t know that Monday - I flew right over O02 on a quick trip to and from Susanville. But that might help others who might be available - I am headed to the southern hemisphere for the next month, so I am not goign to be useful until late March.

Paul

Argh…too bad I didn’t know that Monday - I flew right over O02 on a quick trip to and from Susanville. But that might help others who might be available - I am headed to the southern hemisphere for the next month, so I am not goign to be useful until late March.

Paul
Paul,

Are you familiar with any repair shops or A&Ps in the N NV/N CA area that might have RV-8 knowledge/experience?

I'm sort of running into a brickwall with all of this...

Thanks,
Jason

Paul,

Are you familiar with any repair shops or A&Ps in the N NV/N CA area that might have RV-8 knowledge/experience?

I'm sort of running into a brickwall with all of this...

Thanks,
Jason
I’m not, unfortunately. There used to be someone at Stead that did a lot of builder assist projects, but I can’t recall the name, or any way to contact them.

I’m not, unfortunately. There used to be someone at Stead that did a lot of builder assist projects, but I can’t recall the name, or any way to contact them.
Thanks for your "replies" Paul. Enjoy your travels to the Southern Hemisphere! I hope to connect upon your return because I intend to remain in the Reno area and continue to enjoy my RV-8.

Regards,
Jason

Back